Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
6 month old male - how tall??

It's been a long time since I kept a male puppy.
It seems to me that my 6 month old boy is small, but I have nothing to compare him to.
How tall should he be at this age?
I know lines vary, just looking for a ball park idea to see if he is on track or really is small at this point.
He has everything else, tons of bone, coat, rear, great front, just perfect in every other way but the height is getting me down.
Am I rushing this??

Re: 6 month old male - how tall??

I think you and I have the same boy!
I keep saying to myself that I need to measure him. He has so much substance that I am hoping it is an optical illusion and that he just looks small because he is so wide!
See you in the classes at Potomac!

Re: Re: 6 month old male - how tall??

LOL, yep maybe we do!!
He will be there, just a few days short of the 9-12, already have it all calculated out
I just keep saying "GOD you're beautiful, GROW PLEASE!!!"

Enter him in your next regional specialty and you'll be able to compare him to his classmates. That'll give you a pretty good idea.

Every dog and line is different. Mine tend to get their height young. I expect mine to measure at or above the DQ size at 6 months. I get a few late bloomers that are still small at that age, but usually they are girls. I have two 9-month old boys here now that have each grown about a half inch since they were measured at 6 months. I don't expect them to grow much taller -- if any.

You didn't say how tall your boy is currently, but I have a 5 3/4 month old that is 20 7/8 inches tall right now (at withers).

Maybe that will give you something to compare to?

Re: Re: 6 month old male - how tall??

Ok, without a wicket...we measured him as best we could and he came out about 20 1/4 inches.
I have to say I was amazed, I would have sworn he would be no more than 17 inches by looking at him!!
So is there hope?????

Re: Re: Re: 6 month old male - how tall??

I would think that if your boy still has knotty looking wrists that there will be furthur growth, height-wise. The wrists don't smooth out until growth of legs is complete.

I am going out to measure my boy today!

Re: Re: Re: Re: 6 month old male - how tall??

He does, big ones!!
Maybe he looks shorter to me because he is shorter backed too?
It's so hard waiting, if there was ANYTHING at all I didn't love about this boy, the wait wouldn't be so agonizing!!