General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Crate Brands?

I want to buy some wire crates.
Have seen some that are very flimsy.
I am looking for very well made crates.
Want heavy guage wire that is not spaced too far apart.
Metal pan would be nice but I can deal with a plastic one.
Would like to do this once and have them last at least 10 years +.
Have looked at(via the web)at General Cage, Midwest and Percision.
Thoughts on these?
Any others to consider and the sources?
Thanks so very much for your help.

Re: Crate Brands?

Dog.com has some sturdy ones, with durable crate pans. The price is reasonable, too, especially if you have a coupon code from AKC that they send when you register a pup. And free shipping over $49.

Digitpet has nice crates and not very expensive, even after shipping. They even have a new option of metal pans instead old ABS plastic available in their standard wire crates.

Their new line of wire crates:
http://www.digitpet.com/product_group.cfm?cid=1001,2003,3037&pid=12107M

The standard ones:
http://www.digitpet.com/product_group.cfm?cid=1001,2003,3018&pid=12011M

I buy the dog.com crates for my new pup owners, the small ones. I'm not overly thrilled with them, they are okay for smaller pups but I have had my pups open the door! Also, free shipping does not apply to freight. There is a .70 per pound freight fee which can make them much more expensive. Every now and then they have a free freight coupon, which I jump on for puppy crate purchases. I personally like the Midwest brand.

Re: Re: Crate Brands?

Precision is the only brand I have found that has a heavy gauge ANd a heavy duty plastic pan.
It's almost rubbery, not so brittle like the Midwest crappy ones.

Re: Re: Re: Crate Brands?

Forgot to add this is for the Chrome ones, the regular black ones are not as thick, look up Precision heavy duty or chrome crate...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Crate Brands?

I second the MidWest suggestion. I have a bunch of the black wire crates, and they have taken quite a beating and are still in great shape! Sturdy, reliable, and nicely priced. What more could you ask for?

The Precision crates are sturdy. I have the accordian type and the regular folding. Their rubber pans are much better than the Mid West plastic. I also have many of the MidWest Ultra with 3 doors, but I think they might be discontinuing them. JB hasn't had them in the last few issues of their catalog. The wire on these are great, but the pans are awful. You have to put mats under the pans to keep them from cracking. Now, I also have 3 Kennelaires that are over 20 years old that I still use, but I don't really like the tension handle latches. The new Kennelaires are not as good and the closure is difficult.

I have always loved the General crates. They are a 1/2 inch narrower than the Midwest and the door can be opened and held open with one hand motion. I believe that General makes the J-B Pet crates. But you'd have to ask them to be sure.

Look at cagesdirect.com. They had Precision crates...on sale.

Just my experience, but I've boughten the expensive Midwest crates (about $70-80 each) and they've rusted (yes, rusted!!) and fallen apart within weeks. You wouldn't believe it, but I've boughten cheap PetLodge crates from Fleet Farm (about $30 each) and they've taken a beating and have held up remarkably well (with no rust) for a couple of years now. I also like the door handles on the PetLodges a lot better than Midwest. JMHO. Happy crate hunting!!