Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
great info on the subject of poop eaters

Here is some great info for all those who have poop eaters. Just thought I would share with you.

http://www.pet-comfort-products.com/why-dogs-eat-poop.html

Re: great info on the subject of poop eaters

Finally some rational information. I don't have poop eaters but I get tired of hearing that you have to get out there and scoop behind them. This is NOT a solution and something I would hate to dish out to puppy buyers should a puppy start eating poo. With all the poo eating and shedding going on, it's surprising the lab is as popular as it is.

20 answers one of which is "Some dog like to eat it and that's that." That's helpful, lol. Three solutions that I'm aware of-clean up immediately, don't let them out unattended (teach "leave it"), or don't allow kisses.

Mine do it for several of those reasons. I have 1 who just likes to carry it around and my youngest one eats everyone else's. It is gross, but we just deal with it. Another friend of mine said, well at least you know she'll be a good mother!

nicole, the article states reasons why dogs eat poop, it's up to you to understand. In case you missed this part:

"In this article you’ll find out why dogs eat poop. This behavior, known medically as coprophagia, can be frustrating. If you understand it, you’ll have a better chance of fixing the problem. Twenty reasons why dogs eat poop are provided to you."

Your "solutions" are not solutions at all, just your way of coping with it at the expense of your dogs. Don't knock the article, it may help someone and that's better than a lifetime of obsessively chasing a pooping dog, denying affection or keeping him cooped up.

---------------

Quoting nicole:

"20 answers one of which is "Some dog like to eat it and that's that." That's helpful, lol. Three solutions that I'm aware of-clean up immediately, don't let them out unattended (teach "leave it"), or don't allow kisses."

I have had a number of dogs over the years who ate poop to varying degrees, and have some now. Most of the time it is not an issue.....it is just something dogs do (and certainly not limited to labs). However, it is the ones who eat so much that they vomit or have loose stools (sometimes very loose) that are the problem. This often would happen in their crate at night.

Before you say we do not clean enough, we used to clean thoroughly once per day. I (temporarily) had one bitch for whom I had to clean the yard before she went out every time, and had to go out with her if she was with other dogs, and had to limit the size of the group she was with during the day. Otherwise when she got sick, it would be awful. She does fine with a family by herself.

I guess my point is that it can be a serious problem for some people and a real solution would be great.

There is nothing worse than poop puke

especially on the bed or carpet. The poop eaters are not allowed on any of the beds...never, ever!