Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
what to do??

I have a few girls that crate fight when they are crated next to each other and fed.
Aside from moving them, is there anything alse I can do to stop this???????
I think of moving them as avoiding the real issue.
Do other people have this problem too?
Or am I the only one

Re: what to do??

feed them on the floor out of their crates and MAKE them behave. You cannot correct them if they are in their crates. They need to know they must respect each other's food. We feed 7 all at once around here. No one goes in another's bowl.

Re: Re: what to do??

Our adults do eat out of crates with no issues ever, but these are younger girls, I usually train them to eat in crates and later out of course.
I guess I could try that.

Re: Re: Re: what to do??

Yes, you can get that red plastic ball bat out , and when one of those bitches act like that, you can prove to them who is actually in charge. Because right now , they are real unsure of that !!! Good Grief ! Labradors ......?

Re: Re: Re: Re: what to do??

My friend uses a spray bottle. I know it has vinigar in it but not sure if it is mixed with water or what. She has a couple of frenchies that try to go at it and when she grabs that bottle they all sit down like nice dogs.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: what to do??

When mine bark for no good reason in the crate I just pop the top of the crate with my flat palm and say "no" in that deep man voice that labradors love to respect.

They may not even do that if they are fed out of there crates next to each other. I think sometimes it is because they are in crates that they do this. It sets them up to be crate protective.

Don't get me wrong, I love crates, and crate my dogs next to each other, and generally feed in crates.

The puppies we run on are generally penned together and fed together; seperate dishes, but next to each other. As they get older I move them to crates and don't seem to have this issue.

Mike

Re: Re: what to do??

The situation doesn't happen if I stand right there until they are done eating, only when I walk away, then it sounds like a dog fight through the bars.
So I don't think there is a question about them knowing I am boss, but when they rooster is away....you know the rest.

Maybe try putting a big piece of cardboard between them so they can't see each other.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: what to do??

no bats, no spray bottles, these are LABRADORS! Just stand there and very quietly tell them no when they go toward someone else's bowl, gently push their little noses back towards their own bowl. Do it often enough, they quickly get the idea. I start them as young pups, learning to be among the big guys, gently learning respect. I don't let them "run" with the big guys, just table and house manners. The pack teaches very gently if you let it. If you are at this growley point right now, start them off across the room from each other, close the gap later.

Feed them outside the crates and teach them not go toward each others bowls. I feed 8 all together and they won't dare go into one of the others food bowls. When all are finished eating and empty bowls are left, it is a free for all. Otherwise, I teach them as pups to eat only from their own bowls.