Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
odd behavior in young puppy

Young puppy started eating poo when first started weaning. Box and pen kept very clean...cleaned as soon as litter pooed- before puppy could get to it. Puppy is now 12 weeks and can not be crate broke, because it seems to enjoy having the snack. Puppy is in a small crate, and is taken outside to potty very often, even when relieving itself outside- will turn right around and to eat the poo. Never seen this in a puppy so young. Puppy was weaned and is still on Pro Plan Puppy Chicken and Rice. Puppy is healthy in every way. Any ideas?

Re: odd behavior in young puppy

Maybe do the pumpkin/pineapple/meat tenderizer thing right away so he learns that it is bad to eat poop. Once they get it in their heads as adults it is hard to break. I have a few poop eaters and UGH it is terrible!

Re: Re: odd behavior in young puppy

One of my poop eaters just threw up the watery/chunky mess in my front hall!!!

Re: Re: Re: odd behavior in young puppy

Oh one of mine just came in and threw up the same thing in her crate, must have had too many poopsicles...

Re: Re: Re: Re: odd behavior in young puppy

But don't worry, she ate it back up already before i could get in there to clean it up

UGH....

Yes, started crushed pineapple 1 heaping T to each feeding this week. Think more is needed? Thought we would give it a few days to see if it changes anything. If not maybe try the pumpkin? Seems strange puppy started so young???

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: odd behavior in young puppy

Mine never seem to make the tile or hardwood - it is always the carpet! Usually it is poo mixed with grass so the stain eventually becomes a lovely shade of "mint green".

It's funny that you all should bring this up today, just last night I was reading something from "Naturesfarmacy" about Poo eating being caused by an imbalance of probiotics in the animals gut. Of course they have a supplement for this.

I've never used it but it might be something to check out.

I have a poo eater who thinks her roommate is a vending machine. Ya just gotta love the farts and belches!!

To the previous poster...I'd be very interested in reading that article you read on Natures Farmacy...can you be more specific as to where it can be found on that site? Thanks in advance!

Re: Re: odd behavior in young puppy

It's not on the site, it was in the introductory pages of their "catalog/brochure" that came with some product a friend picked up for me. The intro is titled "Probiotics... the miracles within us" by Jeanette Pickett

"Grass, dirt, stone and stool eating are all symptoms of a dog that is trying to correct gut abnormalities and needs probiotics to do so.'

I think the specific product is callED "DOGZYMES DIGESTIVE ENHANCER"

1-800-733-4981 or www.naturesfarmacy.com