Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
showing a dog on limited registration

can you show a dog in conformation with a limited registration?

Re: showing a dog on limited registration

No

You can not show a dog in Conformation with Limited Registration. HOWEVER, that does not stop you from competing in Obedience, Rally, Field Work, and Agility.

Have fun with your dog!

You would be surprised just how much fun competing in the other events can be. Then if your dog passes all of its clearances and is looking good then I would have a discussion with your breeder to talk about lifting the Limited Registration if you still want to show in conformation.

Re: Re: showing a dog on limited registration

No Way!!

Re: To Original Post

SEEEEEE......why... oh why.. won't you believe me?

One thing you could do is show at a match show. I know...... Match shows are for pedigreed dogs with AKC registrations. But, they never ask for the AKC numbers. That way you could get an idea how your dog stacks up. If your dog beats everyone, you would need to talk to your breeder about reversing the registration from limited to full.

Obviously when you bought this dog, it was sold as a pet.
You should have known that and it really sounds like you are trying to go behind the breeders back on this one, otherwise you would be speaking to the breeder, not asking what you can do on the forum.

The poster didn't say he/she even had a dog to show. They did say that they were new to the breed and that they are learning. Why do you have to jump all over their a$$ when asked a simple question? A little kindness goes along way, no need to be snotty.

Re: Re: Re: showing a dog on limited registration

I've always found it's good to assume people are telling the truth unless proven otherwise. I expect that "Newbie" is actually new and applaud Susan for suggesting other venues for competing!

It is also conceivable that the breeder didn't explain limited registration well enough. We have a responsibility to explain to people (whether they are buying the puppy as a pet or not) what ltd. means and what they can and cannot do.

Maybe after 6 years in the show world and 25 years of labrador ownership it should now be "Newbie but learned afew things!" In Canada you can show a dog on a limited registration as well as compete in Hunt Tests, Obedience etc., any of our puppies that have gone to and/or will be shown in the US are registered on a full registration if the owner wants to compete.

Yes, you can show a dog on limited registration in Canada.

"We have a responsibility to explain to people (whether they are buying the puppy as a pet or not) what ltd. means and what they can and cannot do."

ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaaa hahaha haaaaaaaaaaaa ha

In my contract I make the people sign that they understand what a limited registration is. I also include the AKC's explanation of limited registration for them. That way there is no question in there minds at pick up or ever.
I can say that I can't tell you how many times I hear from pet people, "Our dog was so beautiful and so many people told us we should show him. Ya know, he was AKC registered and we could have". Where did you get him? "Oh we saw an ad in the paper. He was $300" "He does have 4 Champions in his pedigree!"

Re: Re: Re: Re: showing a dog on limited registration

Hmm.... does this mean you don't explain? Sorry, I am confused.

I think Susan gave a great answer.

And - now for our story. My Corgi is co-owned with his breeders. He is also accident prone and broke a foot while playing in our yard. During his time off from showing, our breeders had the opportunity to see Dash's litter brother, who was placed as a pet on limited registration. CB grew out quite nicely, so they lifted the limited and worked with his owner to start showing him. About 14 months later, Dash finished his Championship - and I think three weeks after than, CB finished as well.

Sometimes pets placed on limited do turn out quite nicely. And I think if the original poster is interested in showing, that they should talk with their breeder about the possibility of learning and maybe lifting the limited.

I certainly didn't view the original question as someone trying to go behind someone else's back, though I do know it has happened.

Cheers, K

I am not sure it is true that you can show a dog on AKC limited resgistration in Canada. I had a neutered boy on limited that I wanted to show in CKC obedience but Canada would not give me an ERN because they do not recognize AKC limited registration. I had to get the breeder to change the registration to full before I could get an ERN and then I could show him. This was in 2004 so maybe things have changed.