Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
President Elect: Dog choice narrowed to 2 breeds

According to what I just read, President Elect Barack Obama and family have narrowed their choice of dog down to two breeds. The LABRADOODLE and the PORTUGESE WATER DOG. Let's hope it will be the Portugese Water Dog!

Re: President Elect: Dog choice narrowed to 2 breeds

In the greater scheme of things, whatever breed of dog the family picks, really isn't that important. JMO.

I remember how calls for chocolates skyrocketed when Clinton got Buddy, Everyone please pray the Obamas do not get a labradoodle.

Re: Re: President Elect: Dog choice narrowed to 2 breeds

Yeah, we all know that but the general public does not.

The article I read said the family had narrowed it down to the Labradoodle and the "Portuguese Water Hound." Is this yet another designer breed?

Re: Re: Re: President Elect: Dog choice narrowed to 2 breeds

Their choice to be made. Who really cares anyway?

And how many purebred Portuguese Water Dog puppies will they be finding at local DC animal shelters?

It does matter. It will make a mess of the Labrador breed, just like someone said happen with the chocolates. Just breeders out for money. If they want a Lab/Poodle why not go to the pound for a mutt. That is so dumb. And yes, on TV Obama said water hound, HOUND, is it a mix or does he really know so little. Why don't they just get a nice dog or a rescue. Why pay big for a mutt of any mix.

From what was reported, they are going to a shelter or rescue for their dog. I'm sure there are plenty of labradoodles there if that is what they pick.

Well, maybe Obama should go to the pound and rescue. Seems like the democratic thing to do. But I did hear someone say the reason to pay big bucks for a mixed breed is the allergy component.

Crossposted with permission (David Frei is the commentator for Westminster):

I am going to be on Fox & Friends Tuesday morning with a Portuguese Water Dog, a Labradoodle breeder is coming on with a Labradoodle, and we are going to debate the merits of each dog for the Obamas. Our segment will air at 8:50 a.m., as the schedule stands now. Sheryl Shaker is bringing her PWD, Blue, for me. Cross post OK.

David Frei

Someone in the Obama family has allergies. I think they should skip getting a dog and get some nice aquarium fish. When I was growing up, my neighbors kids had allergies. They couldn't have any furry pets, so the parents got a 55 gallon aquarium and they all enjoyed keeping tropical fish as a hobby.

So, why haven't they had a dog before now? Why wait until the White House? Why now? Why is the mother-in-law moving in with them.....now?

And we care why????? I can't believe how interested people are in these things.

People are going to do what they do regardless of what the President does as long as they can make a buck. He has a right to his life and if he wants a dog that is his choice. I did not notice a big run on Springer Spaniels when Millie arrived or after she had a litter. Nor did I notice a big run on Scotties after Barney arrived. Joe Biden just bought a German Shepherd puppy and no one is suggesting those are going like hotcakes. Some breeds are more popular because they have a disposition people like.

The main reason to care is because if he gets a doodle dog, then the demand for doodle dogs will go sky high again. If that is OK with you, then don't worry about it. I am sure that the PWD breeders are praying he gets a doodle.

Oh it will be different with the messiah. You wait and see. Whatever he gets will be filling the shelters 2 years from now.

I totally agree with you as I was thinking the exact same thing. People find something better to do with your abundant amount of spare time!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

And we care why????? I can't believe how interested people are in these things.

And what do you want to bet a whole lot of kids will start smoking. Obama will influence many people's choices.

I am so disgusted, I have not watched regular TV since election day. I do not plan on watching the inauguration, and I do not plan on seeing this individual's face in the next 4 years. I have better things to do. I do not care what dog he gets or doesn't get. This is just another publicity stunt like the many that were orchestrated to get him elected and that half of America fell for. All I know, is that I'm glad they're not getting a Lab!