Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
NLR - Golden Globes - Mickey Rourke thanked his dogs

I don't know how many of you watched the Golden Globes last night, but even though he is a strange bird, I thought Mickey Rourke gave the best speech of the night and found it particularly touching when he thanked his dogs:

"I'd like to thank all my dogs, the ones that are here, the ones that aren't here anymore, because sometimes when a man is alone, that's all ya got is your dog, and uh, they meant the world to me."

Thumbs up to Mickey!

Re: NLR - Golden Globes - Mickey Rourke thanked his dogs

"Strange bird"....yeah...THAT'S how I would describe him!

I too, was touched by the mention of his dogs. It was very real and well said. Sometimes when you feel like you are in the dregs of life your dog is your only bit of comfort and hope. Dogs save lives in many ways.

Well said Mickey

I think Mr Rourke might be related to Sentaor George Vest :

The one absolutely unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world, the one that never deserts him, the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous is his dog.

A man's dog stands by him in prosperity and in poverty, in health and in sickness. He will sleep on the cold ground, where the wintry winds blow and the snow drives fiercely, if only he may be near his master's side. He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer. He will lick the wounds and sores that come in encounters with the roughness of the world. He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a prince. When all other friends desert, he remains. When riches take wings, and reputation falls to pieces, he is as constant in his love as the sun in its journey through the heavens.

If fortune drives the master forth, an outcast in the world, friendless and homeless, the faithful dog asks no higher privilege than that of accompanying him, to guard him against danger, to fight against his enemies. And when the last scene of all comes, and death takes his master in its embrace and his body is laid away in the cold ground, no matter if all other friends pursue their way, there by the graveside will the noble dog be found, his head between his paws, his eyes sad, but open in alert watchfulness, faithful and true even in death.

George Graham Vest - c. 1855

Re: Well said Mickey

what a nice piece - thanks laughing gnome.

Re: Well said Mickey

Thanks Laughing Gnome!

Harry S. Truman

"If you want a friend in Washington, get a dog."