Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Still thinking about HD video

Does anyone have a 1080p HD video camera that can send me a SHORT clip of video? I am trying to see what sort of quality I can expect on snapshots from that type of video. I have looked at video at 720p from a Sony camera and it is very clear, but would really like to see if the 1080p quality is worth investing in a camcorder at that level.

Re: Still thinking about HD video

I am sorry but when I saw HD video....I thought "Wow, a video on hip dysplasia.".

Good luck on your HD video camera search. I will interested in what others think about the cameras.

Re: Re: Still thinking about HD video

Maureen, I am thinking about the Nikon D90 camera, that takes HD video as well as still pictures. I have always wanted an HD video camera, so this would kill two birds with one stone, but it is hard to justify the $. Anyone with any opinions on that camera? I have read that the autofocus is not reliable for the video, and I'm not sure I understand how that would work, because of course a video would be of a moving target.

My hubby is a Nikon buff. He just got a Nikon D300. When we went to the camera store I asked them about the D90 and the videos and they said it wouldn't work for what everyone wanted. Sorry

I keep asking the same question and keep getting the same replies - but not to MY question. Just for those who are also looking at the various cameras around, none of the still cameras that ALSO do HD video have the capability to take 1080p video. There is a Sony, Cannon, Nikkon, etc. and all of them are 720p. There are a number of camcorders that record HD at 1080p. I would really love to hear from anyone who actually has one of these. If I could get a short video clip - any topic - I could experiment with the quality of the frame stills. HELP... anyone with a 1080p camcorder!!!

*I keep asking the same question and keep getting the same replies - but not to MY question.*

Well,I have a few 1080 LCD TV'S. I don't know if they manufacture what you want or if there's an the answer to YOUR question. Maybe no one has the answer to it here. There are camera and video boards. Go there and you might find your answer.

I think, what you want prolly doesn't exist. Maybe you can patent it and make it yourself?

Re: Re: Still thinking about HD video

I have no idea what you really mean - other than to just be mean. I am simply asking (again) if anyone on the board has a 1080P camcorder. There are a half-dozen brands on the market. If someone DOES have one, I would be grateful if I could have a 1 minute clip to try some photo extraction. I have asked this same question on 3 different Lab forums where lots of camera buffs post, but all of them want to discuss the SLRs or still cameras. I guess those are great if that is what you are looking for, but I just want to connect with someone that has a 1080p camcorder. Is anyone out there???????????

I have also looked through 3 online dictionaries and can't find the word "prolly". What is the meaning?

Re: Re: Re: Still thinking about HD video

Hi, Becky. I have been trying to find out about HD camcorders, but in the process have received a lot of info about the still cameras that also shoot short videos. Jo Morris sent me a bit of video and some stills that she shot with her new Sony T500. They are really spectacular. The software she used to grab stills from the video did not give great resolution, but the software I downloaded for use with that format (MPG4)allowed snapshot capture from the video at EXCELLENT quality. If I can't find anything that takes true 1080p video with the clarity I want, I may settle for that 720p mode camera. I suggest you take a look at it online.

Nature of the beast - or medium

I took the advice of the above poster and logged on to several camera/video forums. I started a thread with the same message - I would like to have a few seconds of video from a 1080P camcorder to evaluate the quality of extracted still frame images.

In the responses so far, several people have said there is no such thing as a 1080P camcorder (there are 6 different mfg selling them in this country and some Asian distributors as well). Several have said that any still image from a camcorder will be terrible (even though they don't HAVE a HD camcorder). Several have commented that I really should be looking at a DSLR still camera (although I made it clear I was interested in info on a camcorder). Several wanted to argue among themselves whether TRUE 1080p was really generated since there are various frames-per-second standards being used (???????). In other words, I have not had any useful information on any of the largest/most recommended camera/video forums.

I have come to the conclusion that the medium is the problem. Perhaps the folks who enjoy posting on forums respond even when the thread is not about a topic they really know or understand. Maybe some just like to argue. So far I am still waiting for ANYONE with a top-end HD camcorder to reply. Perhaps they are too busy using the camera to waste their time on internet forums