Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Height?

Speaking of standards, I know what the standard is for height & weight, but what is currently being shown in terms of hight right now? Are dogs smaller? I ask partly out of curiosity, but also because I have two Labs entered for the Wildwood shows in NJ and they are both on the small side. I admit I haven't measured them, and yes I know I should. Just wondering how their being a little small will effect their odds. One of them is two and the other is just a year.

TIA

Re: Height?

Just don't show them to Maureen Gamble

Personaly, I prefer a dog that meets the standard, or is even at the high end of the standard in terms of height, but it just so happens that my best two girls right now are on the smaller side. The one year old may still grow a bit, but the 2 year old is done.

Re: Re: Height?

...or anyone else who actually judges to the standard. I keep hearing people complain that judges only look at handlers, follow the politics and money, etc...... then you complain when one actually reads and follows the standard. There is no pleasing some people. As the old saying goes, some of you would complain even if you were hanged with a brand new rope

Seriously, to answer the OP: I don't know that size is an issue if the dog is within the standard. I have lately seen some big ones and some small ones win easily. I suppose it may be more a regional issue - if most of the dogs in an area are quite large or small, your dog could look out of place. I would just be careful showing one that is clearly below the DQ... it is like playing with dynamite - you never know when it will blow up in your face

I think a Lab should look like a Lab. I don't mind smaller at all. Lot better to me than so big these days. A Labrador should be a small boat dog. Some would turn it over. Stocky fine, but to big all over not my cup of tea at all. If I had two very nice dogs in front of me, one compact and the other large. I would remember what the breed was bred for and give the ribbon to the nice compact Labrador. All other things looking the same.

Re: Re: Re: Height?

Thanks for the imput. I think I'll be okay, was mostly just curious. I don't think my girls are any less than 21 inches. I will measure to be sure, but unless she's in the ring with a lot of other girls at the high end of the standard she shouldn't really stand out in terms of height.

It's been a while since attending a show and didn't know what was "in" right now. I know we see a lot of dogs that are over the weight standard, so I figured it's not impossible that there're allowing other oversights of the standard as well.

I'm definatley one of those people who'd rather be judged by the standard, not the handler. I don't care what others think or what's "in." I only care that my dogs live up the the breed standard, which means they hunt as well as show.

JMO :)

Thanks!

Love your point of view. I tend to agree. :)

Thanks,

QUOTE" ... As the old saying goes, some of you would complain even if you were hanged with a brand new rope
QUOTE"

Maureen, that was totally out of line. I happen to have a brother who hung himself and I find that statement very offensive. I understand it is a figure of speech but it is still offensive.

I'm very sorry for you're loss and understand your sensitivty to the phrase, however, I really don't think she ment to offend anyone. I took it that she was merely trying to explain how some people never really take responsibity for their dogs--they just find someone else to blame--the handler or the judge. Please don't take it personaly. :)

It's not that she means to be offensive - it just happens effortlessly.

I've been out showing two weekends in a row, and my 21.3/4" bitch looks miniature in comparison to what's out there in our region.

That and all that coat. Wouldn't want to be sweeping up their kennels or houses come spring time.

As long as the dog is in standard, why worry? Just measure and move on. I've only seen the wicket pulled out once, and the bitch was disqualified that day.

And by the way, a big dog usually is not a boat tipper, but an unruly one of any size is misery in a boat.

If you don't mind me asking, what region is that? My girls will be shown in NJ, so I'm primarily interested in what's going on in that particular region, although any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I'm in OH.

So sorry for your loss, I know how horrible it is when a family member commits suicide as I too have first hand experience with it
Aloha,
Jackie

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

QUOTE" ... As the old saying goes, some of you would complain even if you were hanged with a brand new rope
QUOTE"

Maureen, that was totally out of line. I happen to have a brother who hung himself and I find that statement very offensive. I understand it is a figure of speech but it is still offensive.

"That and all that coat. Wouldn't want to be sweeping up their kennels or houses come spring time."

Since you don't care for much coat, I guess heads and tails aren't for you, either.

Nor do I care for true Labrador temperament. The nastier the better.

I LOVE a nice tight correct Labrador coat, after 27 years in the breed, I can almost spot one I like now, at ring side.

How about you?

I have learned over about 28 years, that like weight, it helps to put my hands on the dog when I am inside the ring rather than spectating from outside. Coat feels a certain way and you cannot tell that by looking. Nor can you say a dog is fat without feeling the hard muscling that some of these visually overweight speciments in fact have.

Guess "whatever" forgot the old adage, "the first liar doesn't stand a chance..."

Too much coat (or open coat or wavey coat) is too much coat and it's really not so difficult to recognize.

By the way, muscle doesn't roll from side to side when the dog moves.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I have learned over about 28 years, that like weight, it helps to put my hands on the dog when I am inside the ring rather than spectating from outside. Coat feels a certain way and you cannot tell that by looking. Nor can you say a dog is fat without feeling the hard muscling that some of these visually overweight speciments in fact have.

Proves my point

My abject apologies to all those on the forum who had a family member die by hanging. I didn't make up the saying - just used it in what I thought was a humorous vein. My point was that it doesn't matter what you do, there will always be those who take it worng or get offended by it. 'Nuf said.

Maureen, you are the only one that is wicketing of any breeder judges. Do you know another? You should give it up. You aren't doing yourself any favors. I don't always appreciate what you say, but you know a lot about the breed and have much to contribute. You should give up the wicketing though. You are doing yourself a disservice.