Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Optigen Testing a Puppy

I've never optigen tested any of my pups so I was wondering what is the youngest age I can have blood drawn from my only male puppy whose sire is a carrier status and the dam is normal, non carrier ?

I need to do his cerf exam first but how long does it take to get results back if you enter all the paperwork on line ?

There are several pet people interested in our yellow boy if he doesn't pass his eye cerf so I"m trying to get an idea how long it takes to get results back these days? Thanks

Re: Optigen Testing a Puppy

We have done Optigen tests on several litters where one parent was a carrier. I have microchipped them and drawn blood at about 4-5 weeks. The results were back by the time we did the eye exams at 7-8 weeks. We always do the whole litter so that we can make decisions not only about what we keep, but selecting appropriate homes for the cariers that we don't keep.

Re: Re: Optigen Testing a Puppy

The problem with drawing blood before I take the pups into their cerf exam is, I don't want to waste the $200 sum bucks on Optigen and then find out later at the cerf exam that the male I wanted to keep failed his cerf. Nothing wrong with the PRA carrier boy pups but for myself, I don't want to keep a carrier since I wanted to eventually use him on one of my girls who is a carrier. Guess I'll just keep the little guy a little longer than the others and do the optigen at 8 weeks. Their eye exam is set the day they turn 8 weeks old, so no choice in doing it when the pups are younger.

Re: Re: Re: Optigen Testing a Puppy

Everyone has different priorities. I have had so few puppy eye exams that turned up anything over the years that it isn't really a blip on my radar. I was more concerned about the PRA - which I have produced once. The last few Optigens I have done took about 2 weeks.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Optigen Testing a Puppy

I used to be so relaxed about taking my pups for their early cerfs until one year, I kept a female and waited 10 months for her first exam. Turned out she had RD. Every since then I take my keepers in at 7 to 7.8 weeks or sometimes the entire litter.

Do most puppy folds show up at a 6 week old puppy cerf ? I might be able to switch my appointment then get right on the optigen test for that one male puppy.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Optigen Testing a Puppy

Puppy folds, not associated with the RD/OSD gene, are visible from 6 weeks until at least 12 weeks. They usually are not visible by 6 months. I have been doing entire litters for about 12 years now. I just talked to a breeder who had geographic folds present in a year old dog that passed a puppy exam. Does anyone know anything about this phenomenon? I thought all folds would be present in puppies.

Does your dog have geographic folds or just one or two in the lower part of the retina?