Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Purina AGAIN!

I seen on another forum that Pro Plan C&R is coming back as Performance. Don't know about bag size or cost. I have tried several times to talk to a real person about this but keep getting put on hold or passed on. My dogs are loosing weight and coat on Shreds. I have fed 4 bags & it shows! I guess I need to really go with something else. Is there a Purina Rep out there on this forum or does anyone know of one that would come out & let us know what is going on. I really liked Pro Plan.

Re: Purina AGAIN!

Might try using the Purina ONE chicken and rice formula instead as it is the same formula as the PRO plan chicken and rice, my dogs have lots of coat and the food is cheaper than the PRO line.
Aloha,
Jackie

My dogs seemed to gain weight on the shredded...go figure. They all took the change well and seem to be doing really good on it, nice coats, less stools, no gunky ears. Each dog is different I think you have to feed what works best for your dogs.
Sharon

Re: Re: Purina AGAIN!

My dogs lost tons of weight I had to double their amount of food. Terrible :(

Re: Re: Re: Purina AGAIN!

The last time I compared the ONE by Purina to ProPlan C&R the ONE contained corn as an ingredient and the ProPlan did not. I received an email from Purina stating that they were bringing back the old PP C&R but it would not be on the shelves until late January.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Purina AGAIN!

You need to look again, regular PP most certainly does contain corn.......

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Purina AGAIN!

Yup...the only one that I KNOW doest is the selects salmon and brown rice and it is 53.99 a bag here in Florida.
I think SS may not either but would have to check.
Annie

very disappointed in the new food, 10 labs been on it 6 weeks.
I have to feed double, piles in the yard are HUGE!. Dogs coats are loosing their shine.

Bags weight less and cost more, depressing!

I know I have posted this before, but I just got Performance Chicken and Rice to mix with the adult to tide me over. If it doesn't come out by the end of Jan, I will just feed Peroformance until it is availble again.

In that instance, I will have to reduce intake on my older dogs to keep them from gaining weight.

MK

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Purina AGAIN!

Well I just want to share that after 2 months on ONE L&R, my coats have gone to Sh*t, my dogs have lost weight and I'm switching again!
Now trying the Exceed L&R....

Re: Re: Re: Purina AGAIN! - I stand corrected!

I stand corrected, PP Fish & Rice does not contain corn, which is what I have been feeding. But if I remember correctly back in 1990 when the original PP Lamb & Rice came out it did not contain whole grain corn only corn gluten - which can make a difference. I guess PP keeps cheapening the ingredients, it is definitely not the food it use to be.

I will not feed the shredded mess.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Purina AGAIN!

Wow! Breeder. My dogs also look like crap and are loosing weight and shedding terrible on the ONE lamb and Rice. They are also ravenously hungry, all the time.

I emailed Purina, today, to see if they changed the formula when they changed to label on the bag from "Total Nutrition" to "Lamb and Rice formula". I haven't gotten a reply.

I have been feeding that for years, and just switched, and it is not Purina. I am so dissappointed.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Purina AGAIN!

On the same note: How many that are feeding Purina ONE L&R have had girls not get pregnant? I have had 4 in the past few months and that is extremely unusual.

As far as I know PP C/R is coming back and PP Chicken and Rice. The bag is downsized to I think it was 33lbs? and the price is around $45

I am very please to GO BACK -AGAIN - to Diamond and feed their Naturals line of Chicken/Rice (use to just feed Premium Adult). While I don't have an issue with corn it IS corn, wheat and soy free and bi-product free (though I have no prob with that either). It is $26 a bag and a 40lb bag. We are on our second bag and dogs are doing GREAT! When you compare ingredients and cost it is a better buy.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Purina AGAIN!

Gail, what are you feeding instead or have you not changed foods. my girl has lost about 8lbs and shedding and itching too, which she does sometime in a heavy shed, took her to the vet because thought might be something wrong and other then weight loss and itching she has a clean bill of health, got a stroid shot for relief from itching and vitamins but no real change in weight.

so many foods out there I am to the point what is really good for her. every dog food company makes there claims to be the best, who really knows?

The Chicken & Rice Shreds have been absolutely terrible for my dogs. I have ear problems, overweight problems, large piles in my yard.... terrible. We are unfortunately so limited here in my area that there is not a lot of competition for most of the pet foods so then in turn stores are charging a lot more. Pro Plan was the best food that I could find that was affordable... with the $7 rebate checks at least. I am thinking of switching them all to the Salmon blend or the performance....now we are back up to $50 a bag!

Been feeding ONE for about 2 years when they talked about making proplan bags smaller. I read ingredients of pro plan chicken and ONE chicken pretty much the same food.

I tried the shred and had to double amount fed, to keep weight on my working dogs. I also saw coat loss.

Went back to ONE and dogs doing great.

Exceed C&R is $26 or L&R is $24 for #44 as Sams. The C&R is more calories than the Lamb formula. Its made by Purena, says on the bag, compares to ProPlan Performance and the dogs are doing fantastic on it. They have great coats and have substance. Try it! Forget about how Purena is messing the whole thing up.