Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
When do you say enough is enough?

I just wanted to put the question out there on dog numbers in one household..

At what point do you say enough is enough on the number of dogs you have in your kennel? Is it 2? Is it 15? Is it 30?

And in your opinion, what does this number depend on? (the amount of time you have in 1 day to spend with each dog, etc)

Re: When do you say enough is enough?

It so depends on your facility, the amount of fenced area you have, whether you work outside , your financial status, are you able to handle dogs as a pack and walk them together? Kennel help ?

There is no magic number !

Re: Re: When do you say enough is enough?

Gee, are you a husband???

It really depends upon how many you can afford to care for properly and also how many you have time to care for properly. For some people 2 is too many, for others, they can manage 20+ with help.

Personally, I think it is hard for any ONE person to manage more than 10 without outside help. But there are people who do it well.

Best,

Leslee Pope
Huntcrest

Some women give birth to quints. They seem to manage somehow. I'd have to shoot myself. So I think it is the same with dogs. Different people can handle different numbers.

I think it is generally about 1/2 as many as I have at any given time. LOL.

Mike

Depends on the day!!

I have felt such guilt lately on this exact subject. I only have seven, but when one in season, one pregnant the boys cannot run/play together or have house time together. Therefore, it looks/feels to me that I really am "treating them like animals".

Labs are so loving, need human touch/talk/love more than terriors and other breeds. Each Lab is so different. Each needs a job and their own time with owner.

I agree with all of the above advice, but only think that it is the TIME that is most important in this wonderful breed. Age, illness, fun, toys, food, health all are important, but so to THEM it is all about US. In the long run, they just want US and something to think about and DO, not to sit in crates or runs except when pottied.

So, my advice is: When you cannot give them a full day, your voice/eyes, say their names over and over to them, then you have too many dogs. Then you are a business.

Interesting no one mentioned the time and affection that is needed by the dogs just the daily care. Maybe that is the reason breeders are given a bad name. Maybe the question that should be asked is how many dogs can you keep without feeling guilty about not giving the attention that each one deserves. The longer I do this ( and it is long ) the less tolerance I have for breeders that think it is just fine to keep a large number of dogs as long as they give adequate shelter and food.

Interesting no one mentioned the time and affection that is needed by the dogs just the daily care. Maybe that is the reason breeders are given such a bad name. Maybe the question that should be asked is how many dogs can you keep without feeling guilty about not giving the attention that each one deserves. The longer I do this ( and it is long ) the less tolerance I have for breeders that think it is just fine to keep a really large number of dogs as long as they give adequate shelter and food.

Re: Re: Re: When do you say enough is enough?

That is exactly why I am asking -- At what point would you feel guilty, that YOU yourself wouldnt have enough time with each of the dogs individually

NOT the facility size, the $$$, kennel help etc

How many can YOU yourself handle - BEFORE you need kennel help.

Kennel help would really only need to be necessary if someone was not capable of doing it because of health reasons, or something beyond their control, or simply vacation time - Not everyday help.

Well said

I completely agree.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I have felt such guilt lately on this exact subject. I only have seven, but when one in season, one pregnant the boys cannot run/play together or have house time together. Therefore, it looks/feels to me that I really am "treating them like animals".

Labs are so loving, need human touch/talk/love more than terriors and other breeds. Each Lab is so different. Each needs a job and their own time with owner.

I agree with all of the above advice, but only think that it is the TIME that is most important in this wonderful breed. Age, illness, fun, toys, food, health all are important, but so to THEM it is all about US. In the long run, they just want US and something to think about and DO, not to sit in crates or runs except when pottied.

So, my advice is: When you cannot give them a full day, your voice/eyes, say their names over and over to them, then you have too many dogs. Then you are a business.

The answer will be different for each person, and I believe it should depend on how much time and money a person has for each dog.

I believe they should be part of the family and not just live in a kennel. If you don't have time to raise and train them, or if you don't have the money to care for all of them, you have too many. If you find a way to give each dog individual time, attention, care, and training, and it's happy & healthy, that's up to you.

As for me personaly, I'm still working on what my magic number is. Maybe there isn't one, as my time and budget change from year to year, so maybe one year I have more dogs and another year I have less. As long as keep in mind why I have them and stay true to my values that's all that matters. If I find myself overwhelmed and in too deep, I start placing them in pet homes. It's happened before, and it'll happen again. I refuse to keep more dogs than I can give my time and attention to. It wouldn't be fair to them, as each and every dog deserves a loving home with lots of love.

I try to stay at or under 10 dogs, just seems like the magic number for my situation; time at home, amount of property, financail.
Any more and the work takes more time... leaving less for the TLC.

Leslie you are funny!! Are you a husband!!! I have 7 Labs and 2 rescue Cockers, (1 that I have tried to place for over a year). I think if I had more than 10 I couldn't give them the attention they need. But could handle at least 12 (husband/yard says no!!. My dogs are house dogs & all have jobs, tracking, fetching the paper or mail or picking up toys in the yard. They all do something and get attentiion. It is harder when you have to separate the boys from the girls but then I find my husband back in the dog room with the girls watching football with them all piled up on top of him so I feel OK!

We keep it at 6 so that every one of them can get some "off property" time almost every day. They are house dogs, they have a large fenced yard & dog door but they also get out for walks in the fields or on trails or in the neighborhood (or at least do some retrieving) just about every day...seems to keep them sane. Couldn't provide that if we had more than 6.

I have been going through feeling guilty also. Have placed older dogs and young pups lately. Feeling better already. When you don't have time to pull them out each day and do something they love to do, might be too many. When its all you can do to feed and pick up. Want to go back and read Reaching for the Stars again. Makes me stay a little more focus on just keeping the very best. Some might turn out, alot don't. Good question. Would love to say I only have 8. That to me would be a good number.

Re: Re: Re: When do you say enough is enough?

I have been breeding and showing labs for about 30 years. In that time I have never had more than 6 adults. Yet I have managed, with averaging a litter
every two years to breed wonderful dogs, AKC Champions, Champions in other Countries, field dogs,
Therapy dogs and search and rescue. I have always placed in wonderful homes what I can't use. You have to decide if you are going to be a Guardian of the breed and make the right choices or warehouse and try
to breed tons of pups to try to get that Special pup.
It is hard to place something that has been with you for a while, yet if that dog can get one on one attention it is so much better for the dog. You are just being selfish. Labs can love anyone. If you
can't really take care of your dogs on a daily basis,
pet,play, check ears, check teeth, etc from time to time. Brush them! You may find lumps and bumps!
I have some great breeder friends, I love them but
it is troubling how they keep their dogs. Look at your dogs paws and legs, I am amazed how many lick sores I see. That really tells the story of the dogs boredom. I love the breeder that turns them all out like livestock. All said and done, to each his own,
it really is all about your own values.

Not every dog who sleeps in a kennel or spends time in a paddock is ignored. I have nine dogs and some sleep inside while others sleep in the kennel. The old dogs are always in the house, and the others rotate in. The adult dogs all get two long walks in the woods and a swim with me or a family member each day and the older dogs and pups go on a short 'walk' because they love the idea of it but their bodies can't make it as far. Depending on what each likes, they get worked in the field, obedience or show (handling class) at least once a week. Their tails are wagging, they don't have lick sores, but they aren't underfoot every minute of every day!! IMO, they live better than a lot of PEOPLE in this country, so please don't knock a kennel lifestyle. It can work.

If you can't give every dog individual attention each day then why have that many? Is it to breed? Do you
keep them to hunt with? What? It is not that any one should say that is not OK, I just could not do it.
I look in their eyes and feel guilty. I have seen dogs with lick sores wag their tails, they are so happy for attention. Labs wag their tails no matter what, that to me would not indicate they were thrilled with their lives.