Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
older girl problems

I have a 8 yr old bitch that has had 3 1/2 litters and has now been retired from breeding. I plan on spaying her but she was in heat in October and I held off. Now she has a pea sized lump on one of her mammary glands so i plan to get her in as soon as possible (money has been tough lately and we have had a few unexpected setbacks) My question is we have noticed some slight bloody discharge the last couple days like she is going in to heat again and my male has been licking her. She was always one to come in every 5 months so I am confused. Don't know if amyone has seen something like this in an older girl??

Re: older girl problems

I ould have her checked to be sure she doesn's have pyometra. Sometimes if there is infection - the dogs get interested in the odor.

Re: Re: older girl problems

And sometimes as they age, I have found that their cycles go off kilter.

I took her to the vet today and we ran bldwork. The vet noticed the area avove her vulva seems thickened but I think it has been like that. She was worried about some type of mass there. We will know more tom and may have her spayed soon depending. thanks!

My girl's bldwork came back normal today-no infection. My vet suspects a split-heat cycle. The question now is do we spay her soon or wait again? Has anyone had to spay an older bitch during a heat cycle? Worried.

Just curious but how do you have half a litter? Did she share the litter with another bitch?

JMO but unless it's an emergency situation, my vet will wait until the cycle is over.

We say half litter as a kind of joke because she had two pups one time and we had thought it was just a false-pregnancy at first.:)