Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
pregnancy & whipworms

My bitch was bred 10 days ago. Mentioned to the vet that she eats a lot and does not gain weight. He wanted a fecal. Now why didn't he do that when we were progesterone testing? Anyway, had a fecal done yesterday & vet found whipworm and wants to put her on Panacure. I do not like to give anything during pregnancy. Now what do I do?

Is this safe during pregnancy?
If I don't worm my bitch, what risks am I running by leaving the whipworm untreated?

I don't want to risk harm to the puppies or to my girl. From what I read, my girl could be re-infected even if I do treat.

Re: pregnancy & whipworms

Yes, I believe Panacur is safe to use during pregnancy. There was a study done in which pregnant bitches were given Panacur daily from day 42 to two wks. post whelp. It was found that the pups didn't have round worms as they might have when the worms are awaken during pregnancy and passed on to the pups. That being said I try to avoid the use of any meds during pregnancy unless absolutely necessary.

Re: Re: pregnancy & whipworms

That's why I keep my dogs on Interceptor all year long. Had a dog from FL come into my kennel and spread whipworms around.

Side note: Had a young dog with chronic diarrhea and unable to gain weight. Fecal identified whipworm, but she was on Interceptor. Manufacturer paid for worming and re-testing. Still whip eggs. Fecal sent to university lab and it was identified as LUNG WORM which dogs get from eating earthworms!! Go figure. Seeing it in the stool was from coughing up the eggs and swallowing them.

MK

Re: Re: Re: pregnancy & whipworms

so what did you use to treat for LUNGWORMS?

Re: Re: Re: Re: pregnancy & whipworms

injectible ivermectin. Treated everyone in the kennel twice several weeks apart and re-tested.

MK

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: pregnancy & whipworms

To OP yes I would definitely go ahead and worm her both to keep her from getting sick and/or having chronic diarrhea and to keep it out of your dirt unless you live somewhere with extreme cold or hot and dry. When whipworms get in your soil they can be tough to get rid of. Have had good luck here (southeast) putting the dogs on interceptor for a year.