Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Puppy vs cats

I have a 13 week old puppy that I am having a very hard time introducing to my 2 cats. I thought the cats would take care of the issue when he was a little younger with a good whap. They whap, he doesnt care. The puppy is insistant about chasing and barking at them. The poor cats hide all day.
Scolding the puppy isnt working.
Any suggestions??

Re: Puppy vs cats

Grab the pup by the nap of the neck and get eye to eye contact with him and let him know his actions are wrong. Be consistant.

I have 2 cats and 2 10 week pups I am working with and they have gotten the message.

I am lucky because my cats like all my dogs.

I have 5 labs in the house and 2 cats and a litter of 3.5 week old pups. I find my cats in the whelping box with the puppies almost as much as mama dog is in there. My older pups learned "leave it", and at times the temptation is too much when one of the kitties strolls by and initiates a game of chase...I tell her to leave it and she abruptly leaves the kitty alone. I would do some serious leave it drills withthe puppy using other items/things to leave to teach the pup what leave it means. It will be easier to get her to leave the kitties alone when she knows what leave it means. Good luck.

We just taught the puppies "boundaries" (including staying off of the hardwood floors that are in our formal living room, seen here) so that the cats can have some peace when the puppies get to be too much.

According to most feline behaviorists, it is VERY important that cats have a good "safety zone" (ie puppy/dog-less area) where they never HAVE to officially "leave" if they don't need to (food/water/litter all right there where the dogs aren't allowed).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EXGLlofxCU

It worked pretty well, and to this day, Monty (shown here as a youngster- BISS Ch. Forestwood Gone Hollywood At Montview, WC) doesn't step onto the hardwood in this area of the house. We DO, however, find him curled up with this same cat on the big dog beds we have throughout our home.

Just a flat buckle collar and leash, a firm/stern "OFF" command, and consistency. That's what we used to accomplish a situation that we (and the cats) could live with.

Re: Re: Puppy vs cats and Boundaries!

How do you teach boundaries at such a young age?? wow!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

We just taught the puppies "boundaries" (including staying off of the hardwood floors that are in our formal living room, seen here) so that the cats can have some peace when the puppies get to be too much.

According to most feline behaviorists, it is VERY important that cats have a good "safety zone" (ie puppy/dog-less area) where they never HAVE to officially "leave" if they don't need to (food/water/litter all right there where the dogs aren't allowed).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EXGLlofxCU

It worked pretty well, and to this day, Monty (shown here as a youngster- BISS Ch. Forestwood Gone Hollywood At Montview, WC) doesn't step onto the hardwood in this area of the house. We DO, however, find him curled up with this same cat on the big dog beds we have throughout our home.

Just a flat buckle collar and leash, a firm/stern "OFF" command, and consistency. That's what we used to accomplish a situation that we (and the cats) could live with.

Here is a short video of a very patient cat: http://www.whatsinyouremail.com/2009/01/10/a-patient-cat-cute/

The link to click on is in the upper left hand corner, ASchatpatient.wvm

34 seconds long, opens in windows media player.