Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Doing hip xrays that don't look good right after heat cycle?

Did two of my dogs OFA's today and then I remembered after the vet told me one didn't look good she had just finished her heat cycle 3 weeks ago. Would you wait and redo them or do you think it wouldn't matter? This is my favorite bitch, her elbows looked great and sisters looked good on both. Gee am I hoping for something that won't change?

Re: Doing hip xrays that don't look good right after heat cycle?

I'd wait and see what they come back as. If they are passing I'd probably go with that. If not I'd redo them but wouldn't put her under anesthesia again (assuming you did the first time). I've had hips done while they're in heat or on either side and have gotten goods and an excellent. Did she have prelims?

Re: Re: Doing hip xrays that don't look good right after heat cycle?

No prelims and it was not done under anestesia this time.

I would see hwat they came back as as well. I had my vet do xrays even though I told him that I thought my girl was coming in (I had just gotten her and had no information on her cycles) and not to do them if he agreed. Sure enough she was in heat...but her results were excellent and normal... in spite of that. So wait and see. You never know - she may have great results. Plus, it has been my experience that regular vets cannot always read a hip xray or will agree with OFA. In fact the vets in my town never have agreed with OFA. Most disconcerting. So I just do the xrays and let OFA decide. No real choice. A

I would not send them in, wait a few months and redo them and send those in. If your vet thinks one hip does not look good now, and OFA fails her you may have a harder time getting them to change their mind with a 2nd set of xrays, then if you sent a better set in to begin with. JMO.

Except that one of my vets told me that one of my dogs had HD and he came back excellent. Another vet told me another dog was fine and he came back from OFA with HD - different breeding. My girl was iffy from another vet in town and she came back from OFA excellent. Another girl was - okish from a 3rd vet and she was OFA good. So I have not much faith in what any vet in my town has to say. It would depend on what you think of your vet's opinion. I could read the xrays better than they could as an ex emercency vet tech. Sheesh! I was not shopping for vets ioinions by the way - just trying to get xrays done around my job, a time frame and pricing.
So that's been my expereince lately here. Take it for what it's worth.
A

Re: Re: Doing hip xrays that don't look good right after heat cycle?

Since she was never put under, I would wait until the middle of her cycle and redo them. Does your vet put your dog under for the xrays? Maybe she wasn't positioned good.

Donna

Re: Re: Re: Doing hip xrays that don't look good right after heat cycle?

Maybe I didn't make it clear in the original post, she was not put under, no sedation at all, positioning was really good and I saw for myself that the socket was fine and the ball was fine, problem was that the ball wasn't in the socket very well, looked a bit out in fact, sort of like a mild hd on the OFA website picture. Thing is this girl has not been exercised at all as I usually won't until they are over 2 and i'm wondering if swimming her for 6 months might make a difference.