Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mother and Daughter

I am looking for some advice on keeping the peace while keeping a female from my litter. My current girl is an 'only child' and has had the house to herself for 4 years. With her last litter she was less than pleased with the few that stayed with me an extra month. When dogs she knows come over she plays but clearly is trying to dominate. This pup won't be going away. Most of you will probably have to dig deep into your memories as its probably been awhile since you had a one dog house. Any advice to making life easier for us all would be appreciated.

Re: Mother and Daughter

I kept a puppy from my girl's first litter in July, she's now 5.5 months old. There wasn't any problems with it. Mom was and is exceptionally forgiving though.

Correct firmly but kindly if your girl behaves in a way that is dangerous to the puppy, otherwise let them be, they'll figure it out.

My girls are the best of friends.

Re: Re: Mother and Daughter

This is just my perspective. This behavior is not typical for Labs. I had this situation with one of my own bitches. She eventually tolerated her puppy but it was hairraising at times. This daughter ended up being a satisfactory mother and accepted her "keeper" with some overly severe corrections at times. Her puppies have been lovely mothers. But the original bitch ended up sending another bitch's 3 month old puppy to the hospital (everything turned out okay.)After that, I placed this bitch and my life ( and my dogs') was a lot simpler. If you are planning a breeding program, it is likely this behavior will appear in the line hopefully in a diluted form. For your own peace of mind and the safety of your puppies, I would place this bitch. Sorry for being so harsh, but I have been where you are now.

If I keep a puppy who does not get along with the pack, she is placed in a pet home. I want peace in my household for myself and my dogs, but I also don't want to continue that behavior in my lines. I believe labs should be outgoing and social.

The O.P.'s issue is with the mother. But the dominance has been observed with other dogs. I may have chosen not to breed her because just like straight shoulders or being cowhocked, temperament is an important thing to consider in breeding decision.

On the other hand, maybe she has not been trained properly. I would certainly try modifiying the behavior before throwing the baby out with the bath water. In these situations, it often comes back to who really is alpha? I like the dog whisperer program with that Ceasar guy as he shows how to be alpha without being mean. I love his calm, gentle, confident assertiveness.

PS A good kick in the butt works sometimes too.

Agreed. If she can't and won't tolerate puppies, out she goes. If she behaved this way with her last litter, you asked for it. No offense. Step back and evaluate all of the parts of your girl. I know its hard when you have one dog, but making excuses for her is not the way your breeding program needs to go.

A true Labrador in my book is exceptionally tolerant, especially of puppies.

If a bitch is a lousy mother, than out she goes. No excuses. I once spayed a lovely black bitch , with all of her clearances,both parents were Champions, because she would not get along with the rest of the dogs. She does fine in a pet home, single dog home!

I agree there is something "not right" when a mother does not welcome her own pup into the house due to dominance. I would never keep a girl like that. I think it opens a can or worms for problems down the road. As wonderful as she may be, I also agree your life may be much easier placing her into a home, perhaps even on a co own.

Dominance is a motivation that is very difficult to apply. We might be able to see things clearer if you describe the actual behaviours that you don't like instead of real or imagined motivations.

What exactly is she doing? I have one girl here who is an outstanding mother...but she rules with an iron fist. If the puppies step out of line, they suffer her wrath but it is all show and she would never harm them. I like her mothering because her puppies are very well behaved and understand their boundaries, unlike most other labrador mothers who are a bit too tolerant of their hooligans

dominant bitch

One thing I learned after living with a dominant bitch was that she was smarter than me and it was all I could do to try to stay a step ahead. When I would fuss at the younger dog, she would try to jump in and discipline him, too. Example: She learned to take the stolen remote control (or anything else) out of his mouth, but then she would take it a step further by destroying the item to keep him from it. When I would fuss at her, then she would try to pass it on down the line. A better solution was to put both in a sit/stay and then "throw a fit", shaking the destroyed remote control and fussing at IT. Then I would shake it in front of their faces and tell them how bad the remote control had been. I know, I know, it sounds silly. You don't want to do it if you already are under psychiatic evaluation maybe, or at least close the curtains first, but it was effective for us! LOL - But after losing 13 or so remote controls, this became the disciplinary method of choice in our household - that, plus getting a wooden box that looks like a book to store the remote control inside on the coffee table. Good luck!

Re: dominant bitch

My dogs, and wife, ALREADY think I'm crazy! This would pretty much prove them right. LOL

You make a good point though. We usually think in human of psychology, not dog psychology; which often means we are doing the opposite of what we should be doing.

Mike

"We usually think in human of psychology, not dog psychology; which often means we are doing the opposite of what we should be doing."

Mike. You read my mind Too many think human psych not dog psych with a few members that have their degree in it. If they were animal behaviorists I would listen. I won't to a human *shrink* haha.

OP, your bitch will be use to the pup from day 1. She won't mind her staying behind. If she does, she will have to adjust or you'll never have more then 1 labby. It will all be fine.

I may have led some of you to believe she hurt puppies. Not the case, she is a wonderful mother with her pups up until 9 weeks. I have to help her wean because she keeps nursing. At 9 weeks or so, she became more of a pal than a mom. She would never hurt them, never growled (harshly anyway) or bit them. She just didn't like them around. She would take the puppies toys, want the puppies to sit still in the yard while she played or until she initiated play with them, I remember once when the puppy was sitting by my feet against the couch, she came up and sat there and leaned into the puppy. No vicious behavior, more like she was trying to 'erase' their presence. Anytime I felt she inhibited the puppy too much I told her enough and she let it rest. Not sure if that helps at all?

My first bitch hated her puppies and motherhood , however we kept 3 of her pups till they were 2 and 3. once they were about 5 months old she was fine and before them she learned very quickly she was not the boss I was, so she learned to tolerate. when they were 5 months they were more fun for her and she would play with them and never real bad about thinking she was the boss, I took over that role. my advise you be the pack leader.