Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Conversations w/your dogs

I was talking to one of my co-workers and said something about talking to one of the dogs this morning about eating sticks...he said Ok so how many conversations do you have with your dogs each day. I never thought about it....I just do it. Its natural. When I am home I do talk to the dogs. No I don't really have full conversations with them but I do talk to them. I told him #1 they do LISTEN and #2 THEY DON'T TALK BACK!! He said that's cool, he talks to his Lab too!

Re: Conversations w/your dogs

I talk to my dogs all the time. Sometimes they listen and sometimes they act like my kids and tune me out.
Would that be why some people think i'm eccentric???

the best is when you talk to your dog while you are driving and your dog is sleeping out of sight...people at red lights think you've lost it!

Our dogs are great listeners too!

Re: Re: Conversations w/your dogs

When Iam watching TV my girl will be laying down in front of my recliner and will make a little grunting sound to get my attention. So I tell her what a beautiful girl she is, I will start to watch TV and she will do it again. We have a fun game of talking to each other. Loves to be told she is beautiful.

Re: Re: Re: Conversations w/your dogs

Glad I am not the only "crazy" one that has conversations with their dogs. So what does your family and friends think? My significant other thinks that it is a wierd behavior and just confuses the dogs because they don't understand ... he blames it on years of living by myself with my labs. Well, I disagree, because my dogs are really great listeners, don't talk back, and I think they enjoy it (and I do to). When I was in college, my lab at the time must have been one of the most intellectual dogs around because she helped me study all those note cards.

My family is as bad as I am for "talking" with their critters!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Conversations w/your dogs

I think my husband talks to the dogs more then me My family has always had dogs, they talk to theirs to, so we are not alone Dogs are the best therapy in the world and our blood pressure is very low Dogs never take sides in disagreements, they love us all the time. I think more people should have dogs and talk too them, the world would probably be a better place

Also, when talking to your dogs - how many of us have a dog with that same name, "Dammit"???

Greg, we don't have a Damnit but we have a "Butthead"!!

Many years ago there were 2 poodles that were being shown in obedience. One was "Please", the other "Dammit" I was at ringside the first time they were shown, the looks on the judges faces were great when the commands were give "Please come" and of course, "Dammit come". Classic!

Are there people that DON"T talk with their dogs?

Re: Re: Re: Conversations w/your dogs

Good question, Virginia! Hard to imagine IMO

We have one of those too!

Yes, I talk to my dogs too. "Off, no, stop, hey, come back here, what did you do that for?"

Our one impish girl thinks her name is " Hey come back here with that "

How about "Don't even think about doing that" or "What do you want to watch on TV tonight?" or "Can you believe that?" "What are you getting into now?" "That's MY toy, go get yours" and they do! I talk to my dogs constantly running conversations about everything fromt he TV to their behavior and mine...and I take them to school and talk to them and the kids witness it and shake their heads...oh well. Dogs are the best! They never criticise.
LOL
A

Hee hee, I talk to my dogs too and I have one named Pork Chop, first time I put her in the ring for a match show the judge laughed her butt off at her name and couldn't believe her name was really Pork Chop lol
She was the fattest thing as a puppy and she is still really "beef" although she's kept on a strict diet and she still looks like a porky chop.
Aloha,
jackie

Since I was born and raised Catholic our girl has a Religious name ... "God Dammit".. and when we are really frustrated with her we use her full name "Jesus Christ why did you do that?"..

I suspect there are a lot of "blessed" dogs out there at times!!!