Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Oxytocin shelf life?

Does anyone know what the shelf life of oxytocin is if kept in a fridge?

Re: Oxytocin shelf life?

Pls check with your vet.

I say 1 year post that I have personally used it and all was ok. That being said, the birthing process is a life or death situation. As a "newbie" I wouldn't be using it without the instructions of a vet and having it is date. Many things can go terribly wrong if you do not know what you are doing.

2 Years

Re: Re: Oxytocin shelf life?

The bottle should have a expiration date on it.

It is NOT supposed to be kept in the refrigerator. It should be kept at room temperature.

Re: Re: Re: Oxytocin shelf life?

Labeled storage temperature 2-8°C (cool).

The shelflife at this temperature is 3 years.

Advice for shelflife IDA products at higher temperature

o at 25°C the shelflife is reduced to 1 years.
o at 30°C the shelflife is reduced to 6 months.
o at 40°C transport maximum 1 week.

Re: Re: Re: Oxytocin shelf life?

My vet said to keep it in the fridge. If this is wrong, it just goes to show you that not all vets know everything. And, if it is right, it just goes to show you that not all breeders know everything.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Oxytocin shelf life?

A normal fridge temperature is around 6'C - therefore you should be fine and it will be good for 3 years.

My vet gives me a bottle and he also says to keep in the fridge. Years ago with a different vet when I received 1cc syringes with it that vet also said keep in fridge!! Shelf life shows on a bottle and you can still use it longer. Loses just a slight amount of potency but its still fine for a while.

Excuse me for stepping on toes. I have been told by several vets to leave it out.

It's good for a month or two after.

I have never had a problem with leaving it out.

Guess I should learn to mind my own business.

Re: Oxytocin shelf life? CAUTION

It's standard to store oxytocin in the fridge only, never on a shelf. I would check with your vet & if there is no expiration date or it is drawn into syringes get rid of it sooner then later, 3-6 mo. or less.

Caution, never give it to anyone else no matter who asks you to. Let them get it from their own vet. You don't want to be responsible for it not working or for a rupture or placental detachments.

A friend has a vet that buys it back if it wasn't used for a whelping. She (the vet) never should have. What if it wasn't stored right at the breeder? My friend did proper storage but no vet should trust it is by all. Tsk.Tsk.

I have a partial amount here the huge brown glass bottle here that the vets have in their clinics (not that I will ever use it). It does say to refrigerate. 2-8 C is correct. About 38-42 degrees F.

Have always been told to keep it in the frig and it does last for 2 or 3 years. Not sure but have kept it and used it for almost 3 years. Of couse, some vet would say a few months. They want to sell you more.

It completely depends on the product...the storage instructions vary (often depending on the preservatives, etc. contained in the drug). You should probably consider contacting the manufacturer for the bottle of oxytocin that you personally have.

For instance, some labels from various manufacturers read:

Agrilabs- "Store between 15°C and 30°C (59°F and 86°F)."

IVX Animal Health- "Store between 15°C and 30°C (59°F and 86°F)."

Butler (Oxoject)- "Store at controlled room temperature between 15°C and 30°C (59°F-86°F). Do not freeze."

RXV- "STORE AT 2°-8°C (36°-46°F).
Do not freeze. Avoid excessive exposure to heat. Refrigerate."

Vedco- "Store at controlled room temperature between 15°C and 30°C (59°-86°F). Do not freeze."

Phoenix Pharmaceutical- "Store between 15°C and 30°C (59°F-86°F). Do not freeze."

VetOne- "Keep Refrigerated at 2ºC - 8°C (36° - 46°F). Do Not Freeze."

Bimeda- "Keep Refrigerated at 2º - 8°C (36° - 46°F).
Do Not Freeze."

Vet Tek, Inc- "Store between 15°C and 30°C (59°F and 86°F). Do not freeze."

Aspen Veterinary Resources, LTD- "Store at controlled room temperature between 15°C and 30°C (59°F-86°F). Do not freeze."

Thank you to those who actually answered the question. I wonder if I used the name "breeder" or "longtimer" I would've gotten the answer a little quicker, lol.

Thanks again!

Smarty replies will make people not want to answer your questions in the future. Be kind to your experienced peers they are only looking out for you!

Personally, I am wondering why a vet gave Oxytocin to a "Newbie" in the first place.