Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rear dew claw?

Have a five week old litter. Was looking at them today and noticed a rear dew claw! Yikes! I've never had a puppy with a rear dew claw before, and didn't notice before now.

Of course this may be a show prospect pup.

Any suggestions?

Guess I'll have to look for them sooner in the future.

Re: Rear dew claw?

remove it..it looks ugly

Re: Re: Rear dew claw?

Yes, but a 5 week old pup is different from a two day old pup. I don't want to hurt this puppy unnecessarily.

How common is this in the breed?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

remove it..it looks ugly

Re: Re: Re: Rear dew claw?

Years ago I had dews removed at about that age because the litter was weak when they were young...my vet gave them twilight sleep and it was fine.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Rear dew claw?

Have never seen a rear dewclaw on a Lab pup. Is this real rare ?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Rear dew claw?

never seen it before. talk to your vet about the implications of removing it at this age.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Rear dew claw?

rear dew claws happen, sometimes one foot, sometimes both. It is just part of the genetic "wheel" we spin when we breed dogs.

Of all the things that can happen this is very trivial. It is probably not even as developed a "toe" as a front dew claw, so removing it shouldn't be too traumatic.

MK

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Rear dew claw?

It's pretty developed, lol!

Waiting for a call back from my vet.

I too wonder how common this is.

Replying to:

rear dew claws happen, sometimes one foot, sometimes both. It is just part of the genetic "wheel" we spin when we breed dogs.

Of all the things that can happen this is very trivial. It is probably not even as developed a "toe" as a front dew claw, so removing it shouldn't be too traumatic.

MK

never seen a rear dew claw on a Labrador pup in 20 years.

If it were mine I would have it removed with in 4 days from birth.
good luck

Are there field labs in your lines?

Re: Re: Rear dew claw?

No, there are not field labs in my line. And yes, I would've removed it at 4 days if I had seen it. Not used to looking for dew claws.

And no, I haven't seen anything like this for the 14 years I've been in the breed, but I tell you, I'd rather have this that a few other issues, lol!

Replying to:

Are there field labs in your lines?