Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Vaccines - what are you doing

Curious as to what others are doing about vaccines given to pups.

Do you give a combo vaccine w/ lepto to your puppies at 6 and 9wks of age? Or do you give a "non-lepto" combo vaccine? And why?

Do you give just a Parvo vaccine at 5wks? Why -- Especially if you give a combo vaccine at 6wks?

I have always given non-lepto combo's at 6wks and no 5wk parvo vaccine.

Looking for feedback.

Re: Vaccines - what are you doing

I suggest you contact Dr. Jean Dodds.
or UCD California for a better plan

Re: Re: Vaccines - what are you doing

I'm not looking for a plan . . . I'm looking for feedback on what others have done. Comparing notes is all.

This is currently a subject that I am deeply interested in at the moment. Last year I had my first experience with a reaction to vaccines with 8 week old pups.(It was SCARY) I have always felt in the pit of my stomach that it wasn't right for me to be giving multiple vaccines as once. ( I say ME, cause everyone is different). So I talked with someone who I feel has enough experience to really help educate me with enough information so that I can honestly make the right decision. She also has ALOT of information to share on her website if you email me privately I am sure she wouldn't mind me directing you to her website. I talked with her yesterday for the first time and she was really easy to talk to and very friendly (Thank you!!)
I can tell you that we are changing our approach to vaccines. However when making any decision I feel the more ya know the better!

We give a non lepto combo vaccine at 5-6 weeks and then a lepto/corona vaccine at 9 weeks. Havent had a reaction yet. Been breeding for 12 years.

We give a non lepto combo vaccine at 5-6 weeks and then at 9 weeks with lepto/corona. Havent had a reaction yet. Been breeding for 12 years.

I always give a Parvo-Distemper at 5-6 weeks.

They then get the MANDATORY DHPP(Distemper/Hepatitis/Parvo/Parainfluenza) and MANDATORY Bordatella at 8 weeks from the Vet for state of Florida health certificates.

I do Parvo-Distemper at 5-6 weeks because that is biggest risk in this rural area. I won't let them on the ground before.

When pups leave, it is up to the various Vets and believe me it is a variety of protocals.

I, personally, do DHPP at 8 and 12 weeks, DHLPP at 16, Rabies at 17 weeks.

Lepto and Corona are not a huge threat, mainly rabies,distemper and parvo around here. If I am taking dogs out a lot, then every adult gets Lepto and Corona every 3 years. I also rarely do bordatella, only for dogs going out and about a lot.

I didn't do lepto for a long time, but it has been making a show again, so I do it, now. I also do not vaccinate dogs after 8 years of age, except rabies.

I have a closed program, not taking in other dogs or taking my dogs all over the place, and I average a litter every 18 months so this vaccine program has worked for me.

Vaccinate for the first time at 8 weeks - no lepto ever. Basically follow Dodds for the rest of the vaccinations for pups and adults.

Re: Re: Vaccines - what are you doing

Only because someone brought Parvo to my place when puppies were 5 weeks old.

4 weeks Neopar (parvo only)
7 weeks 5 way

Re: Re: Re: Vaccines - what are you doing

Distemper only at 10 weeks
Parvo only at 12 weeks
Titres to be run by pet owners two weeks later and if they are high, then the puppy is protected for life.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Vaccines - what are you doing

So what would you do if you had 6 week old puppies that got parvo in the future.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Vaccines - what are you doing

Even with high titre low passage vaccines, very few puppies seroconvert at 6 weeks anyway.
Some breeders like to wait until the maternal antibodies are gone before vaccinating so that they only have to vaccinate once.
We all weigh the risk of over vaccination against the risk of parvo and all come to different conclusions based on what risks we can live with. That's what makes the world go 'round

Re: Re: Re: Re: Vaccines - what are you doing

says who? Not even Jean Dodds says that.

I do 8, 12, 16 weeks, or 10& 14 weeks distemper/parvo. and possibly Proguard 5 (no lepto or cornona)

shots again at one year. THEN I could consider them protected.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Distemper only at 10 weeks
Parvo only at 12 weeks
Titres to be run by pet owners two weeks later and if they are high, then the puppy is protected for life.