Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
prcd testing

I'm interested in the number of dogs being tested by Optigen for prcd.

Does everyone test EVERY dog in their kennel and only keep clears? I'm curious why the cost of Optigen is formidable for so many people when there are ways to save money.

I rarely test my females. I breed to clears (there are enough to make a solid choice)and I know my females will never be worse than a carrier based on that. I only test any males I hope to keep for myself. I can go one or two generations by keeping females this way and then I'll test again. I've not tried to eliminate the gene but have, by virtue of statistics, seem to have done that without really even trying.

Those who Optigen test. Do you do it before or after your joint clearances?

Re: prcd testing

I test all dogs/bitches in my kennel after they have final clearances. If they are carriers, they are only bred to clears that match them best. If they are clear, they are bred to their best match (carrier/clear/affected).

I have bred to several carrier dogs, have two carrier dogs at stud to clear bitches and never plan to eliminate the prcd-PRA gene unless by sheer dumb luck, my picks are all clear and the best mate for them is also clear.

IMO, testing should not be used to eliminate a gene, but rather to ensure that no affected dogs are produced.
Cheers!

Re: Re: prcd testing

I test all males standing at stud (unless clear by parentage) and bitches I don't test unless I want to use a carrier. Sadly, I seem to be attracted to the boys who are carriers, so although it is more costly, I never pass them over if they are the right dog.
I do the minimum testing to make sure I don't produce PRA, nor anyone who might use one of my boys

Re: prcd testing

I test all of my boys, regardless of whether their parents are clear, and will not use an untested boy or one that is "clear by parentage" (unless parentage has been proven) on a carrier bitch. I test my girls if I want to use a carrier dog.

Re: Re: prcd testing

I test all dogs after their OFA clearances. The OFA's first, then Optigen. Optigen helps me decide who to breed to, not if they should be bred. If I have a carrier girl, she's only bred to Clear tested dogs. Not to "Clear by Parentage".