Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help! before they get here!

Hi, As some of you may or may not know I do a lil grooming on the side. Well one of my clients owns a Jack Russell female who they bred (both dogs are titled,cleared etc...so no discussions on that)
Anyway they are not breeders, but did want a litter to keep a female and now will more than likely have her spayed.
BUT...in order to get her milk to dry up they are limiting or withholding (I don't know which) food and water. I have always weaned my lab pups off gradually never depriving mom of anything except nursing. Any idea's to send them home with to get her milk to dry up except the food and water thing? Never heard of it...They are on thier way to pick her up suggestions please!!!

Re: Help! before they get here!

Ps... She is dehydrated, not severely but she is.

Re: Re: Help! before they get here!

Yeah, call the AC, thats ANIMAL CRUELTY!!
SHEESH!
Tell them stop absuing their dog and FEED and WATER her!
I hate JRTs but I still feel sorry for this poor thing!

I know these people and this dog is thier WORLD...She lives the most pampered life...I think that one of the folks in thier dog club told them to do this..and they ARE NOT breeders..so I think they are just doing what they are told...

I reduce the female's calories quite a bit--back to pre-whelping level or below--but NEVER withhold water.

MK

I think I am just gonna tell them "I have found the best way to wean is....."Unless I get something that sounds better than my idea...
BTW...her weight is good. She is not skinny she looks good except she is a bit dehydrated.

Thank you MK

Try to talk to them, and if they have any qyestions to call their vet.

I have heard that it's good to fast the dog for one night after she feeds her litter for the last time. Then give her half her normal amount of food the second day, and by the 3rd day feed her the normal amount of food. Reducing calories can help stop the milk & recudes th likeihood of problems with the milk glands etc, but I NEVER heard anything about witholding water, and DO NOT recommend it. Nor would I ever recommend not feeding a dog for more than one day.

I suggest making a comparison to them about weaning a human baby. The less they feed, the sooner the milk will dry up. Separating mother from litter will help.

I've always heard to withhold food for the first day of dry-up for mom, but NEVER hold back water!!!! 24 hours does it, and then I go right back to normal feeding. The time I DIDN'T wean a girl this way she developed mastitis and it was severe. I do feed the puppies mush AND mom for about a full week before I pull them off of her completely.

Thank you everyone,
I explained to them with great enthusiasam just the "best" way I found to help dry up milk tried and true. I gave her each of your comments in my own words and they said it sounded good! They absolutely love her and you could tell it was just torturing "dad" to deprive her. His face lit up like he had been rescued.
Thank you again she is really a sweet,cute lil gal (with of course lots of energy!!) Your help is much appreciated.

This is the Forum at it's best! We are here to share experiences and help educate. Looks like you shared some good input from several different perspectives and helped these people out...kudos!