Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Do you recommend Eukanuba?

Please help: do you recommend Eukanuba? I welcome and appreciate all replys.

Re: Do you recommend Eukanuba?

Each dog is different, but I fed Eukanuba to one of my dogs his whole life and he did great on it. I feed other foods to my other dogs, depending on what they need.

Re: Re: Do you recommend Eukanuba?

I don't like it. the first main ingredient is meat, which is good. But, corn and grain are the next most prominent ingredients which dogs have a hard time digesting

Been using it for years and love their breeder program. Most of the dogs do fantastic on it, I use adult, performance and puppy. I do have a couple that did not do well on it but that goes with the territory. Not all dogs can eat the same thing.

Re: Re: Re: Do you recommend Eukanuba?

"Dogs have a hard time digesting corn and grains"

This is a bold statement - unqualified and potentially incorrect.

You can not say this until you know what is being used. For instance - ground corn is very digestible. Corn Gluten is a good source of protein.

It is becoming comical to read everyone's misguided perceptions of what works in dog food based on WORDS on the package.

I have been using Eukanuba(adult & puppy) now for over a year and all my dogs are doing great. Had tried several different brands-poops are now less in amount and solid every time, coats looking great,previous brand seem to make one of my girls have cracked nails.
Breeder program is great!!

Having tried most of the super premium foods I find that my Labs do the best on Eukanuba. Their coats and skin are a lot better on Eukanuba.

the last time I checked, dogs are still carnivores. Carnivores don't eat corn or grains. A dogs digestive system is not made to break down vegetables the way humans do. The dog food companies use these as fillers because they are cheaper than meats and fish.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Do you recommend Eukanuba?

they eat acorns

http://www.thepetcenter.com/imtop/contrast.html

http://www.ziwipeak.com/pdfs/2651_Food_Fundamentals.pdf
Here are some qualified statements for you "new trishin"

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Do you recommend Eukanuba?

yeah, most dogs will eat anything. Some even eat poop. That doesn't mean its good for them

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Do you recommend Eukanuba?

and they eat socks and lightbulbs and cat poop and other stuff

I'm thinking orijen may be the best food available, but the solid gold moon howling one sounds pretty good, too

well I understand corn can be good in the diet but everytime there has been a recall on dog food it has involved corn or corn glutin food for thought.....me personaly I stay away from as much corn as possible , however corn glutin is almost always necessary some where in the formula I just don't like seeing corn as one of the first three ingredients

Dogs are OMNIVORES. In the wild, they ate animals that were herbivores, and ate their stomach contents, too. And, as anyone knows who lives in close proximity to coyotes and sees their poop (I had a juvenile flirting with my dogs 6' outside the gate yesterday morning!), coyotes eat lots of berries!
Wild canids are opportunistic feeders, and judging by my dogs' disgusting eating habits, Labradors are, too!

java, check again, dogs ARE omnivores, cats are carnivores and lack some enzymes necessary for digesting foods other than meat.

I have a couple of questions - serious questions.

1) For the better part of these past 50 yrs or so, dry dog food kibble was mostly corn based, soy based or wheat based with various and sundry forms of animal byproducts listed as MEAT. The Marketers at Purina, Iams and so on decided to create a niche by selling dog food as an emotional item and thus sold us on the idea of quality, human grade and blah blah blah. The idea that dog food is human grade is bunk. There are no farms, butchers, slaughter houses or vitamin companies making ingredients for dog food.

Now, how did all of our millions of pets survive eating corn, wheat, soy and other food sources we consider junk now?

2)Why do people get so tangled up in this topic every time it pops up here? See the emotional aspect from question #1.

We all pay too darn much money for garbage. PERIOD. You are buying hope when you buy ALL NATURAL, or HUMAN GRADE. The ingredients are swept off the floors of graineries, ground up dead carcasses which came to IBP or other slaughter houses already dead, or vacuummed out of bag houses at steel mills.

IT IS GARBAGE - if it comes in a bag with a label calling it dog food - it is the trash over from some other process or something that process deemed unacceptable. You can stand firm thinking elves make your dog food, but facts are facts, we need to stand up and protest the price of garbage.

Some dog foods sell for more than ground beef. HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE? When Proctor & Gamble, or Nestle or Mars is looking at their quarterly statements, do you think they give a rats behind if the products are human grade? Or if the corn is whole ground.?? NO. They look at pounds sold compared to last year. They spend billions of dollars on things the dogs never even taste. ADVERTISING. why?

Come on people, get with it. We can control the price.

http://www.rawfed.com/myths/omnivores.html

can some one find me an article stating that dogs are omnivores and not carnivores please..

they eat acorns and berries and persimmons

"can some one find me an article stating that dogs are omnivores and not carnivores please.. "

Not an article, but a book, Small Animal Clinical Nurtition, Hand, Thatcher et al.

Huge fan of Euk here. Through the years, I have tried many(like most of us have due to vendors wanting us give it a trial run, etc.) different foods and have always come back to Euk. My dogs do great on it.

I think each line/dog is different and what works best is an individual decision~ I have always fed large breed puppy and performance(even my seniors get it)..However, since coming out w/ the new sensitive skin formula, I have switched. Not because we have skin issues but because I like the ingredients, no wheat/corn, etc. It's their more natural feed, if you will.

Dogs here that are working/showing/pg/lactating get the performance w/ the latter having added, bil-jac frozen.

Lastly, I feel w/ long time tried and true feed places, we aren't going to see recalls on their feed.. I least I hope never to.

At $72.99 for a 29lb bag, I doubt I will be trying Orijen here!

As for dogs being strictly carnivores....even your ORIJEN says differently!!

High-protein, low-carbohydrate and grain-free, ORIJEN features fresh regional ingredients in a Biologically Appropriate ratio of 70 percent meat, 30 percent fruit and vegetables and zero grain (70/30/0).

http://www.orijen.ca/orijen/documents/ORIJEN_White_paper.pdf

Excellent food & Excellent Breeder program

Your paying for the name. There are alot of good foods out there not made by Proctor and Gamble.

I guess you didn't read the article. Here are a few qoutes from that same article:

1. Dr. David Kronfeld reports that
carbohydrates are important for dogs in
just two situations: puppies just coming
off the mother’s milk (which is 12%
carbohydrates) and the lactating bitch,
which needs three times the usual
turnover of blood glucose for production
of milk. He goes on to state that "no
carbohydrates need be provided in the
diet for pups after weaning or adult
dogs, not even for those subjected to
hard work.

2. As carnivores, dogs and cats have
difficulty digesting grains and other
complex carbohydrates.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Do you recommend Eukanuba?

I think that'st the third time you've stated that.

Responding to ha!

If your puppy gets real sick, stops eating for several days and needs surgery, then you will appreciate what carbs do for dogs. Dogs enjoy carbs just like people.

wow you hope my dog gets sick.. shows what kind of person you are. This is a forum where everyone can voice their own opinion freely. If you take anything here to heart then you may need to get a life.

which is what? what do carbs do for dogs? and how do they help them through surgery? please explain