Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Perspective from a Novice

Having been involved in the world of Labs for a little while now, I wanted to share a few thoughts I have been pondering. I share only because I have become very enthusiastic about this breed and really had no idea how much they had to offer in terms of versatility combined with such wonderful companionship.

I read the posts on this board from breeders and people who show their dogs as more than a hobby, and can understand why their are situations where they can become frustrated with the "newbie" or novice person.

First let me say, that I totally understand how having new people asking dumb questions or making mistakes as they learn or even messing up in the ring can be annoying to those who are experienced. I am at the top of my field in my work life and can totally relate to seeing a situation where somebody's ignorance about a subject or situation makes me think, *really*? Are they actually DOING that? Ack! However, I am also a person who loves to learn about new things. Broad challenging subjects tend to be my favorite. Image my delight when I happened into the Lab world quite accidentally! This breed is an absolute joy. I am in love way way way over my head.

So why I am I writing this? I want to encourage folks who have been in the breed for sometime and found success, to keep an eye out for the novices who have real potential and excitement to help better the breed and participate in events. I have my breeder to thank for so much of what I have learned in a short time. She is never too busy to answer my questions, encourage me and even spend time helping me prepare for shows. I am sure that she can see with some mentoring, that I will help her to build her kennel and more importantly, do something great with one of her pups that she took such care to breed. It's a win-win for both of us.

Another aspect is that with some encouragment, I think more puppy buyers would show their dogs, whether in obedience, agility, field, hunt, rally, Big Air as well as confirmation. I watch the results from shows all over North America as I try to learn about what makes a great and notice that the entries in confirmation shows especially are not very big, making it hard for breeders to get the CH's they need to finish. There have been times where I am the only one in my puppy class or maybe there is one other. Not enough for anyone to get points. At this point, I am just working on getting ring experience and don't have grand visions of doing a bunch of winning but we are doing lots of practicing and really trying to do the very best we can each trip out. My point is, that if there were another 4 or 5 of me in each class it would be good for the health of the breed overall. I am sure that the same is true for the other Lab disciplines. I am guessing that no one is suffering from too many members or entries. [Wink}

I am happy to report that 95% of the people I have met so far through clubs and showing have been nothing short of wonderful and I am very grateful. I thought my life was pretty full and fulfulling, but my pup has brought a joy to my life that I didn't know I was missing.

I do have a question for breeders. Would you consider including information in your puppy packet about the different avenues that owners could explore with their dogs? Maybe even hold early obedience/handling classes yourself while you are working on getting your next pup ready to show?

I have become an ambassador amongst my circle if influence for this breed and am sure that many others would as well given some encouragement. Thanks for listening.

Re: Perspective from a Novice

Sorry, you lost me at "confirmation...."
and I stopped reading....

Re: Re: Perspective from a Novice

your loss and also a little insight on your personality

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Sorry, you lost me at "confirmation...."
and I stopped reading....

was that necessary grammar police

That was an unfortunate spelling error indeed! No worries. I think everyone knew what I meant.

I welcome you into the fold! I think your enthusiasm
is refreshing. Your breeder is very lucky to have placed a pup with you. I think you have some very good ideas. I think we would all love it if folks
did something with their dogs. I wish you continued success with your puppy. I will be cheering you on.

Kim

Glad to see your post & I wish you continued success and enjoyment!!!

Yes, ignore the blankety blank person who responded above. You have a good head on your shoulders and you should go far in the breed. Our dogs are much more than a hobby, although a business to some. Once you experience a Lab, you can't match their fine qualities in any other breed. Do look into field work, starting with a WC test. The dogs adore the work, and the bond you create is wonderful.
Good Luck and keep up that great attitude.

From what you've shared in your message, you're the epitimy (oh, God, did I misspell that???) of who I like to place a nice show prospect with. (oh, oh, ended with a preposition!!!) You are absolutely right; when I find a serious novice who is comitted to learning and working into showing and maybe starting a quality breeding program, I'm very pleased. It is a win-win situation for both of us and often builds a wonderful long-term relationship.

I'm glad you got your puppy from a breeder who is supportive and is helping you embark into this wonderful, rewarding world of Labradors.

Feel free to e-mail me privately if you'd like an additional boost.
Jenny

when I find a serious novice who is comitted to learning and working into showing and maybe starting a quality breeding program, I'm very pleased. It is a win-win situation for both of us
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is great to read. How come though for some breeders this is not true?

I want to thank Honest for writting that,i'm a beginner not yet a novice since i'll be getting my puppy in a few months,a show prospect,who knows how it's gonna turn out,i'm just hoping to meet nice labbie people and have fun in my first time in the ring next year!!Me too i'm way way way over my head in love with this breed it's actually unexplainable,even my family thinks i'm nuts some times!As for this forum ,for me it's kinda like going back to school, i'm learning so much here from great teachers whose intention is always to give freely all experience good or bad and to help others in need.
Thanks

We're all different people. Some don't want to take a chance placing a show prospect with someone who hasn't "proven" themselves yet. The majority of people who think they want to start showing/breeding don't continue more than a year or two ... it's a lot of work, with disappointments and not cheap. And, it's time consuming to mentor a novice. But, my feeling is that most of us had mentors originally and it's a way of passing on to the next generation of breeders, hopefully to continue quality in the breed. Otherwise, many novices would start out with poor quality dogs and very little knowledge, thus degrading the health and quality of the breed.

Re: Re: Re: Perspective from a Novice

I admire your guts Jenny.
I have to ask you though, how do you protect yourself from the new person if things go south?
I'm sure you co own but how do you enforce the rules?
Or do you just sign off and walk away and be the bigger person to avoid a scene?

I'm really hesitant to trust again as I've been burned a few times. Now I feel like if there is anything worth running on in a litter, I better not let it leave my property. And I don't.

Sad how a few bad apples can ruin an otherwise trusting person but alas, it happened here and now I understand why so many long time breeders make it a policy never to sell to a new person.