Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
San Luis Obispo County

I am thinking of moving soon to San Luis Obispo County of California.
Any breeders there that can give me status on breeding/dog ownership laws and regulations in that county?
I seem to remember hearing they were kind of restrictive at one point...is this true?

Re: San Luis Obispo County

I know nothing about the ordinences but i do know the weather is fantastic

In SLO County in order to have 3 or more dogs, you must obtain a Hobby/breeder permit. Each dog must be individually licensed ($30/year per intact dog) and then you must also pay the annual permit fee ($100-if I remember correctly). In addition to that, you will be inspected once a year to make sure your dogs are properly taken care of. Although before I moved, the inspections were about once every other year due to staffing problems.

I have had up to 17 dogs on the permit at my highest, but found that the AC was fairly plesant to deal with.

You can contact them directly through the County Sheriff's office at 805 781-4400

And yes, the weather is FANTASTIC!

I love SLO there is a lot beautiful places around, there is Kenya Labradors in Santa Margarita, they maybe can give you an insight, but you will have to contact the city to learned about their restrictions and regulations. I love Arroyo Grande, really cool place, not much fog on summer and still very close to the coast, north county gets a little bit hot on summer, but not so bad, I know there are some breeders in Templeton, Nipomo, and maybe you can get away if you find a rural, non-residential zoning place.