Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How old is too old to breed???

I have a very beautifull gal, both in person and in pedigree that is very sound health wise, nowcomes she has had two litters in her lifetime and I would like if its no danger to her whatsoever to breed her one final time at 9. Anny comments, one way or the other please.

Re: How old is too old to breed???

I feel that is too old. I am not a veterinarian, but I am sure there is some increased risk associated with breeding that late in life.

I did one that was 7 1/2 . Personally, I think it is too old.

Re: Re: How old is too old to breed???

She should be spayed. Her ship has sailed, give her the rest she deserves at that age.

A repro vet told me once that as long as she is in good health and toned no reason not to.
Personally it would depend on the dog.

you need to think about the normal stress of pregnancy on the body, and the usual risks. first of all, have her cycles changed? If they are still regular, and strong, still lasting the duration and affecting the boys, then she is probably capable of conceiving, but if not, maybe not.

I always feel bad for the bitch in those last 2 weeks, especially when carrying a big litter. Even those in the prime of life can have a hard time. You have to think about the toll it takes on the body, what kind of shape she's in - the knees, the hips, the breathing, and how much physical stress she will feel. In addition to that, you need to consider her personality. Is she a no non-sense bitch who takes everything in stride, does she have a tendency for drama, is she stoic or does she wince at the smallest. These questions are for you to answer privately on your own -no one on this forum can make these considerations for you. You will undoubltedly get a bunch of positive and negative replies, mostly from people trying to justify their own decisions. Talk to you mentor, and your veterinarian.

To me that sounds like having a baby yourself at 50.
Not a chance in you know what!

You got to look at her health and talk to your Vet.

Re: Re: Re: How old is too old to breed???

Totally depends on the dog. Some should be spayed (for their own well being) when they are much younger but some 9 year old bitches act and feel like they are 3.

I personally would not allow anyone else to make this decision for me and wouldn't worry about what anyone else thinks EXCEPT my vet. Bottom line is that it is a decision you have to make and live with either way. Best of luck!

What "." said. Lots of things to consider. How big are her average litters? How easily did she recover from them? How "special" is she and do you really "need" to breed her? Etc. I usually think of 7 as a target end date for breeding, but heat cycles being what they are, I've exceeded that number.

I never breed past 6 years. They can show a while, have a litter at 3,4,and 5. No reason to put an older gal through that. Would you want to have a baby now. Think of her. Maybe do a daughter or just buy a pup. I'd leave her resting on the sofa.

How old is too old to breed???

I always think if you can show as a veteran you are too old to breed. Hard to imagine placing or winning a veterans class and having puppies in the same year, unless of course she was just 6 when she whelped then went on to show in the vet class.
Hopefully by that age she has been able to give you what you want from her and be enjoying the couch. If she hasn't what’s to say she will now?

JMO

I'm surprised how "lightly" some breeders weigh breeding. It is nothing to take lightly. Why would you take a chance of problems (where you could be raising a litter of puppies on your own). She could end up with a c-section, or a difficult whelp because of her age, not to mention the work it entails for the bitch after the puppies are born. Without a healthy, able mother, you're setting yourself up for potential problems I would never want to deal with. I would think long and hard before breeding a nine year old. I currently have a litter and I can't even imagine what I would do without my young, healthy mother who is doing an amazing job.

too old

There is no magic number. The carriage will not turn into a pumpkin at midnight. Take your dog to a really good repro vet and get a professional opinion. If you have a super radiologist in your area, you can have an ultrasound to determine the health of her reproductive organs, which would tell you if she could support a pregnancy. Your decision should not be determined by the members of the forum. Forum opinions have there place and can be priceless. This is not the case where your question is concerned.

Neighbors lab had a oops litter at age 10, I think 8 pups, she lived 2.5 years after that.

I have a current litter ,The dam is 7 1/2.But she will be retired after this.We usually retire them at 8.I would whelp out 50 litters a day. If all the moms were like this one.She loves puppies , She is in great health.But with 3 litters getting started later in her life. We have what we want.And time for her to move on with her life.

do you think the older the bitch the less puppies she can usually conceives, even if the semen is plentiful in the billion number range? Do they stop producing as many eggs at age 7 and over?

I would not.

I do not believe older bitches produce significantly less eggs although at some age this must be true. I think the deal is that the uterus does not have as much room left for implantation after having previous litters. I think previous implant sites leave a "scar". I would like to learn more from someone who may know more than me.

I am not sure I would breed a bitch at 9 no matter how healthy she is. I normally even hesitate at 7. Having said that, we just bred a bitch at 8. We were very hesitant because of the age and also because she has already had more litters than we would normally let a bitch have. But she is such a good whelper, is so healthy, and loves being a mother. 8 pups, no problems, she is loving it.