Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
stud dog with enlarged prostrate

Can an enlarged prostrate affect stud dog fertility? This is a five year old dog and it seems rather soon for this problem?

TIA

Re: stud dog with enlarged prostrate

I am not a vet so I cannot truthfully answer your question, but I am very curious about something. When you collect him does he give you alot of pre-ejaculate before the rich fraction comes out? Hutch says alot of pre-ejaculate is due to an enlarged prostrate.
If this were true then we would know when to check him out for this.

Re: Re: stud dog with enlarged prostrate

Had a young dog with this, and yes indeed it does make them sterile. Had extensive tests done, and treatment as well, alas he was neutered and placed.

I was told that it could if there was high fever associated with it. We have a retired show dog that suffered from repeated prostititis when ever the girls came in season. He was immediately put on antibiotics. We usually knew by the blood in his urine. Unfortunately six months ago, at the age of ten, he suffered his worst episode, no blood this time. His prostate became enlarged irregularly, causing a blockage of the colon. It came on quite sudden and he spent 4 days in the hospital to reduce the swelling and temperature of 104. We even had a sonogram done to check for tumor. It was a tough decision but he was neutered as soon as they felt he was strong enough.

Good Luck with your boy, but keep close eye on him.
Michele

A few years ago our stud dog had a very bad infection as a young dog. He took a few months off breeding and was fine afterwards. He never had another infection and is still very fertile!

My male had an enlarged prostate around 6 years of age which eventually caused him to go sterile ... tried all sorts of thing including putting him on procar... in the end we had to neuter him.

Good luck with yours.