Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What Type of Bones do You Give?

What type of bones do you give your dogs to pass the time? I'm looking for something that is relatively long lasting and safe.

Re: What Type of Bones do You Give?

Raw shank bones (marrow bones).

Frozen marrow bones - 3-4 inches

Re: Re: What Type of Bones do You Give?

Raw shank bones and knuckle bones, get them from the butcher. They love them

Raw marrow bones at least once a week. Once in a while a 'white' knuckle bone and bully sticks.

Recently, a friend recommended deer antlers and they are a big hit at my house, and are very long lasting: LINKY

3-4 inches is a little small IMO, I would shoot for 5-6". Besides the obvious hazards of giving bones you should know that it wears down their teeth pretty badly. I wouldn't give gnawing bones on a regular basis.

Red Barn are terrific
we use the white stuffed ones

Mine do well on rawhide. We have 5 retriever rolls around at all times. They also get raw marrow, but I have one that will get xtreme runs from raw bones.

Raw marrow bones (cooked or smoked ones splinter) or pressed rawhide.

My dogs are still enjoying their Christmas bones. They are raw shank bones from the butcher, about 4 inches long. They most often leave them outside, but will bring them into the kitchen. People who don't know otherwise, worry about germs, but my dogs never ever get sick and the bones are enjoyed for months.

Hi.... I use raw femur bones from my butcher. I have them cut into about 4/5 inch lengths and the knuckles chopped off(these granulate). I use pressed rawhide rolls/bones(big ones) and I use the large claw foot nyla bones.

My guys love their Himalayan Dog Chews. They are made of yak and cow milk with a twist of lime. They are an everlasting cheese chew. You can see them at himalayandogchew.com
They also really like Moozles, big dehydrated cow snouts made by Merrick. They last all day and even my old girl with nub teeth can chew on them.

I tried the Himalayan dog chews and was disappointed in how quickly they were gone. I just figured they would last more than an hour.