Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cleaning whelping box.

Do you have any suggestions on what kind of disinfectant to use on a painted plywood whelping box? I can't wash is outside do to the cold weather. T.Q.

Re: Cleaning whelping box.

I use clorox wipes. I wipe it down then dry it off with a cloth or paper towels. Let it air for about 10 minutes.

My whelping box is varnished wood; I clean it with Clorox spray, wipe it with paper towels, and let it air dry for a few minutes. This is usually done twice a day.

I keep newspaper, which absorbs most of the moisture, underneath the fleece. Soapy water is used to clean up more "serious" messes that get on the pig-rail or walls. But the clorox spray, used sparingly, seems to do the trick and has never irritated any puppy feet or other body parts!

I use a packing blanket folded to fit the bottom of the box, then put down personal plastic backed protector pads, and then fleece. I use 1/4 c of bleach in hot water to wipe the box down, towel dry it and it is good to go. Bleach will evaporate so there is no bleach residue to be concerned about unlike other clearers that leave a residual film, even if rinsed. When I was a daycare provider that is what the dept of health recommended for cleaning and disinfecting all play areas and toys.

Re: Re: Cleaning whelping box.

Like Sherry, I use bleach in hot water. I have a designated string mop and pail with wringer for the box. I have a divider in my box and can put pups on their blanket on one side while I mop out the other side and then when done, I move them back and do the other side. Has always worked well for us.