Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Has anyone had their dog food allergy tested successfully??

were you able to pinpoint the culprit and avoid it?
food trials are so time consuming...
especially difficult in the winter when the dog is already scratching from dry skin

Re: Has anyone had their dog food allergy tested successfully??

Yes I did long ago and we came up with nothing. We did food allergy, skin scraps and blood serum testing. We also did food trial doing home prepared.
All turned up nothing. Instead we found an autoimmune deficiency and an ever so slightly off level in her thyroid. Thyroid meds have that covered but she still has a poor immune system and we take that day by day.

Re: Re: Has anyone had their dog food allergy tested successfully??

I have not, but I feel for you cause it does take a long time. First, have thyroid checked. But then, let me share that my girl, who licked feet terribly, does not lick her feet on Natures Variety Instict Rabbit dry kibble formula. I have no idea why, but we joke that she eats rabbit food...and it works!

I have had great success with having my boy allergy tested. I took him to a board certified veterinary dermatologist a year and a half ago. After the initial consultation I set up an appointment to have him skin tested. The Dr. used a reversable anesthetic, shaved his side and injected him with several allergens. The results were pretty immediate and before leaving the practice I was given vials of allergens and instructions for beginning Surfer's allergy shots. Also in finding out exactly what Surfer is allergic to I am able to keep him much more comfortable by eliminating certain things from his environment. The allergy shots didn't take affect until about 10 months after I started. We are now 1 1/2 years into the allergy shots and Surfer is like a new dog. He rarely scratches or licks his feet and his ears look great too. He is at the point of getting an injection once every 14 days. Surfer's dermatologist says that most dogs with allergies suffer from environmental allergies rather than food allergies. I consider taking Surfer to a dermatologist to be money well spent. He is a much happier dog for it!

Re: Re: Re: Has anyone had their dog food allergy tested successfully??

I forgot to add that my Vet Derm Doc says that food allergy testing very difficult, time consumimg and often in-acurate. Again...most dogs with allergies have environmental, not food allergies. Most dogs with true food allergies have more gastro-intestinal issues than skin issues. Best of luck with your dog.

Re: Has anyone had their dog food allergy tested successfully??

I have done food trials with my dogs, yup, they take a lot of time, and yup its annoying, but we have narrowed it down in terms of food to a
no chicken, no corn, no soy
and a
no chicken, no corn, no soy, no beef

they both also see a boarded dermatologist for allergy testing,
and the no chick no corn no soy has fall allergies,some trees some weeds

and the other has some trees, some weeds and human dander, so basically the dog is allergic to ME

we are doing vaccines on those two with pretty good results

food trials are annoying but discipline is cheaper than dermatologists, and the derm vet will make you do a food trial anyway..

only about 10% are food allergic, but its worth a try...

and cold dry weather, interestingly enough, doesn't bother the dogs with no allergies in our house..

barb

My derm vet explained that skin testing does not include food items, and that blood testing for food allergies is inaccurate. Studies have been conducted where blood samples from individual dogs were sent to at least three different labratories to be tested for food allergies. Reports from the three labratories yielded different results for any individual dog.

So a food challenge is really the only way to figure out what foods they are allergic to.

And as a previous poster stated, most allergies are caused by envirnmental triggers.

Re: Re: Re: Has anyone had their dog food allergy tested successfully??

I know that a lot of the dermatologists say the blood testing isn't accurate but I have had enough success that I am still doing it.I have had numerous cases that changing their food according to the test has made a huge difference.