Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Kennel Names for Studs

I have a question and wondered if someone here might know the answer. Right now I just own boys & from what I've read on the AKC website, you can't register a kennel name until they produce 40 litters. That seems extreme to us, but what do you do in the mean time. For instance I'm getting a pup back and would like to start using the kennel name (done the research) I have in mind, can you do that?

Re: Kennel Names for Studs

Sure you can do that. Just research it to make sure nobody else is using it.

If you post what you are planning on using, many on here can tell you if it is being used already.

I would guess that the majority of people do not have their kennel names registered.

I am not sure about 40 litters...I know people that have been in dogs for 10 minutes that have registered a name.

Re: Re: Kennel Names for Studs

Trust me. It isn't that easy. I was rejected for a kennel name because according to the AKC I didn't have a "background in the sport of purebred dogs". So, I asked them how many dogs I have to title, show, or win points with to qualify as having a background in the sport. I never got an answer.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I am not sure about 40 litters...I know people that have been in dogs for 10 minutes that have registered a name.

I think technically they say you need to have produced 5 litters in the past 5 years. When I talked to someone at the AKC last year about registering a kennel name it sounded like it all came down to how many puppies you've registered with that kennel name. I had thought it was more about how long you've been in the sport, that the name was unique and not associated with certain other things, etc. In the end though, in my case, they said that I simiply hadn't registered enough puppies with that kennel name. So the fact that my first titling Labrador was born in 92 and my first show CH is now 12 and all those years in between I had been showing and earning titles didn't count for anything. Now I know to make sure all my puppy people send in their registration papers (or I'll maybe do it myself) and I'll try again in the future.

I believe it also can be measured by the number of CH's you have produced.

Best place to go is the source:

http://www.akc.org/reg/kennelnames.cfm

Until last year, I never had a male that I bred. I registered my kennel name several years ago, no problems.

I have been using my kennel name since 1987, have it registered as a trademark as well as with AKC.

MK

I have friends who registered their kennel name after their first litter. Only started showing in the past couple of years. Never earned a point at that time. Wonderful people who are wonderful dog owners and learning to be great show people and breeders.....but I was amazed that the AKC approved it.

Maybe I should try again. It has been 2 or 3 years.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I have friends who registered their kennel name after their first litter. Only started showing in the past couple of years. Never earned a point at that time. Wonderful people who are wonderful dog owners and learning to be great show people and breeders.....but I was amazed that the AKC approved it.

When I looked into it, and I am paraphrasing, they said you had to show significant involvement with showing/performance and breeding. There did not seem to be any objective definition of significant involvement, however. I am guessing therefore that it may depend on which administrative assistant processes your request.

Well then I guess 20+ years of obedience and HT (and some conformation) entries classified me as "significant invovlement."

MK

I asked about registering my kennel name a few years ago and they wouldn't do it - I would guess since there is a corporation with the same name LOL. I could change it, but I don't think I'll do that at this point.