Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Speaking of Poo

Now that we have had to cut our dog yard down..yes I wish more than anything my husband would come in and say HEY LET's move....anyway I have covered my lime poo pit up and now need to know if most trash collectors will pick up a tied, heavy duty bag or two of poo up each week. What do others do with it after you have scooped and bagged?

Re: Speaking of Poo

I throw mine in with the regular household garbage. As long as it's properly bagged, there shouldn't be a problem.

We bag ours and take to the transfer station ourselves. But we live in farm country

Re: Re: Speaking of Poo

We have a dumpster, it is far enought from the house that it doesn't smell, also, under law for kennels it has to be a certain distance from everything. Health reasons have to be considered. You might be able to get a smaller version of one!!

Hi,

I will tell you that we have to hide ours in with the household trash, or disguise it somehow. We used to put the bags out by themselves next to the regular trash and they would not pick them up. Thought maybe a one time thing, but it happened again. Funny, they have no problems taking the human poop filled diapers!

We double bag it (same thing we do with our baby's diapers) and toss it with our house hold trash. Individually double bagging is the key to zero smell.

Depending on how many dogs you have the "Doggie Dooley" system works well. http://www.doggiedooley.com/
Good luck.

Mine goes in the manure spreader along with the horse pooh, it's all fertilizer for the back 40.

Re: Re: Re: Speaking of Poo

Our town does not have trash pick up so I pay for a private service. He doesn't mind taking it and I make a point of setting it out separate so he knows what it is. My trash guy is great!

I triple bag mine and set it out with the regular trash. I have never had a problem. I do try to make the bags not too heavy and use the better quality trash bags so nothing leaks out !!

I use the plastic grocery bags for pick up each day, tie them closed, and then put those into an empty dog food bag. Lucky for me, my dog food bags come with a zip seal. Someone recommended this to me a few years ago, and it's worked well.

I don't think dog poop is fertilizer..the meat they eat makes it a whole different thing from the horse and cow stuff you are spreading. Yuck...I would think dog poop would be loaded with germs! We double bag ours in Walmart type bags and then put it in empty dog food bags and into a dumpster that's emptied once a week.

I agree, we have a manure pile and I would never put my dog poop on it - YUCK!

We added a septic tank with drain field etc when we had our kennel built last year. Don't laugh, but when we spoke to the powers that be in the government offices, we were told that a separate septic system for your kennel is fine as long as it is not used for human waste too.
Guess I should have a sign placed nearby for when I have visitors......No peeing allowed.