Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Persistent Aortic Arch

Has anyone had a a puppy diagnosed with persistent aortic arch? If so, please share your experience.

Re: Persistent Aortic Arch

What is this??? TIA

http://www.vetsurgerycentral.com/gi_praa.htm

This is very common in Great Danes, German Shepherds and Irish Setters

Re: Re: Persistent Aortic Arch

I had it many years ago in an 8 week old puppy male. The Vet was right on as far as getting his text book out and showing me. He had done some xrays as well. It was a very expensive surgery and the puppy had to eat for several months with his food elevated. Its like a ligament is being strapped around the pups esophagus interferring with swallowing and this arch has got to be corrected. The puppy is still alive and doing well in its home. It takes a fast and accurate diagnosis to correct this with good results.

I had an Irish Setter puppy over 40 years ago that was diagnosed with PAA. We did have to feed him with his head elevated until he was old enough to have the surgery at 6 months.

The surgery was expensive in the day, however, we took him to a veterinary teaching hospital at UC Davis and had the procedure done for a fraction of the cost.

This pup recovered well and turned out to be a lovely dog and a wonderful pet for his family.

Good Luck,
Michael

Tks for confirming. I've heard of this but under another name. Here's some info I found:

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/20206.htm&word=Esophagus

I purchased a pup at 8 weeks who was later diagnosed with this around 6 months of age.

She had to be fed moistened food (canned worked the best for me) and it had to be fed elevated. If the dog is not fed this way they tend to throw up often which leads to fluid in the lungs which of course needs anitibiotics to treat. Once we successfuly diagnosed the s done wonderfuly. Sergery was not preformed based on the obvious risks and expense in addition to the fact that she was doing so well just controlling how she eats to avoid secondary health issues.

She was ultimatly spayed and placed in a pet home with the understanding of her condition and proper treatment.

On a more personal note, I was so dissapointed as she was such a wonderful, promising young girl. In fact, probably the best Lab I have ever had the pleasure of owning and raising. Gentle and submissive with other dogs, beautfiful conformation, coat, and movement. We had such high hopes for her future in show & field. Since placing her, I have recieved a half sister as replacement from the breeder. This girl is amazing as well, and is in excellent health!

I've seen three cases (2 puppies and a kitten). My experience with surgery has been less than stellar- 2 of the three clients went to specialty hospitals for surgery with a cardiologist but both had poor outcomes (neither ultimately survived). The third elected to euthanize (no chance of reasonable quality of life- the puppy was vastly undersized at 5 weeks, regurgitating all it's food and that lead to aspiration pneumonia, the persistent arch was causing a severe megaesophagus.)

I do know other vets who have had better outcomes though. I would have the puppy evaluated by a surgeon or cardiologist (depending on where you live will dictate which is more reasonable for you) to evaluate.

Thanks for the responses. This puppy is 4 weeks old and she is very healthy in every other aspect and the same size as her litter mates. I noticed as I was making thier kibble less liquidy she was starting to vomit. Beings the litter was a large litter, I was supplementing which ever pups had gained the least amount of weight for that particular day. I thought maybe this puppy was just a bit immature as she was the last one whelped. After 2 to 3 days I realized it was more than that so I opted to admit her to the hospital for the afternoon per my vets to check her over. They fed her and studied her bursts of vomiting after eating. She could always keep her formula and mama's milk down but soft mushy kibble would come right back up. My vets suspected PRAA from the beginning, and did the barium x-rays and are almost 100% certain this is her issue. They have conferred with a surgeon and he suggested we get her a little older and bigger. The puppy is home with me on prescription AD diluted to liquid with her formula, 1 cc of yogurt per day, on mama's milk and still is supplemented with her formula as well. We have her on precationary amoxicillon (sp) We will re-evaluate in two weeks, then I will take her to the surgeon for a second opinion and decide our plan of action.

This puppy is full of life and vigor givng me her all, I owe her the same. I can not bring myself to euthenizing her without giving her my all. This precious little Sugarplum deserves a chance, she did not ask to come into the world, I chose to bring her in, it's the least I can do for her. She is not in any pain and truly does not know there is any thing wrong with her. She plays with her littermates, barks, growls, chases balls and "kills" the stuffed toys. She does everything the other puppies do, she just can't eat a solid diet at this time. Please send some positive thoughts and prayers for my "Sugarplum". We have a long road ahead of us.

I have a wonderful team of vets that truly put their heart and soul into their practice. I am truly blessed to have them. I do know one thing, I can not imagine how they do their heart breaking job from day to day other than the triumphs have to make it worth the heartache! For all you vets out there, I admire and also am in awe of each and every one of you. Thank you!

I loved the description of your little girl "Sugarplum". She sounds full of spirit & has obviously captured your heart. Your commitment to her is inspiring & the fact that you are surrounded by a good vet team a major bonus.

I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers! Hoping that the road ahead is smooth.

I will keep you in my prayers. I hope you will have a great outcome like I did with my 8 week old pup. Actually my Vet said it needed to be surgically corrected immediately and it was. He survived and is thriving. Good luck to your Sugarplum. If we breed then we need to be responsible for trying everything we can to help our puppies. You sound very reponsible and loving and its sometimes a heartbreaking hobby.