Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
AI kits

What kits are breeders using for insemination? Do you use a 10" rod or longer and what type of syringe is best? Thank you for your answers.

Re: AI kits

I stock AI supplies for people who want to buy a small quantity of specific items. My best sellers for Labs are the 10" pipette and 10cc Air-Tite syringe (no rubber stopper in it). Some people also like the large collection cones that can hold a tube, while others use baby bottle liners for collecting.

I, myself, use a 5cc syringe for a simple AI (without extender) as it has sufficient capacity. A few people seem to like the 20cc syringes, but it is really overkill - even with extenders. Perhaps they have large hands and just like the more secure grip they can get on the larger diameter tube

Some of us use Veterinarians as per AKC rules.

replying to "Some" you are making the assumption that all AI's are shipped semen. remember what assume can stand for. stud dog owners often use side by side AI for various reasons which is not regulated by the AKC

to clarify before someone else does....side by side does not require a veterinarian...but the AKC litter registration should be marked as having been done by AI

Reproduction Resources has a web site and is an excellent source for all AI needs
www.reproductionresources.com

Re: Re: AI kits

AKC does not require a vet to do simple AI (both dogs present). anyone can do that, but there is a different litter registration form for it that requires that person's signature. Only Shipped or Frozen require a vet to inseminate.