Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
My 7 week litter is coming down with something.

Three of my six pups have very loose stool and are not eating with out some coercing. They are also throwing up. I am waiting for my vet to come out here (probably not until late today.) How can I try to keep the other three from getting it. I pray it is just a stomach bug. Anyone else going through this?

Re: My 7 week litter is coming down with something.

Were they recently vaccinated? Could be a reaction.

Prayer it is nothing serious.

Re: Re: My 7 week litter is coming down with something.

They got their first shots 9 days ago with zero reaction. The other three are acting normal so far. The three that are sick are some what listless.

immediately separate the pups from the already sick ones.
wash bowls, blankets, play area with bleach.

Pray it is not parvo....if it is hopefully you can save the rest from picking it up.

going through it now with two litters, now 8 and 10 weeks old.

-6 pups on road to recovery (eating and playing again)
-have 3 in isolation going through it (very sad)
-lost 4 babies (heartbreaking)
-3 never picked it up (miracle!)

Would never wish it on anyone, one thing I should have done is separate all pups from each other to eliminate the spreading.

Re: Re: Re: My 7 week litter is coming down with something.

We had one of our little black fellas get very sick with vomiting and diareha when he was a week old. He went downhill within a matter of a few hours. We took him asap to the ER Clinic that night and they gave him Sub Q fluids and a shot to stop the vomiting.

I would not wait until tonight to get those pups to your vet if I were you. You can learn to do your own Sub Qs like I had to do if you don't know already but initially, I would take those pups of yours to the vets just to make sure nothing else like Parvo is going on and to get them very hydrated and the vomiting to stop.

Also, I made up some bottles of Just Born, added Plain Yogurt with a bit of Light Karo Syrup and some Pro Bios Powder to feed our sick little fella. It took a week of struggling with him to get his system worked out to where his appetitie kicked in good but he only weighed 1 3/4 pounds at almost 2 weeks old so it was very scary at how quickly he went down hill. He now weighs 2.5 pounds and I'm about to change out his Turqouise Ribbon around his neck !!

My vet also put the little black fella on Clavomox. None of the other pups has caught whatever the Turqouise boy had so far XXXXX on Wood.

Best of luck to you and your sick babies but PLEASE do get those sick ones to your vets and ASK your vet to sale you some Sub Q tubes or bags along with syringes and needles so you can do your own hydration after they have been examined.

Did your pups have a positive parvo test result? I am in FL and this sudden cold weather did not help for sure!

Did your pups have a positive parvo test result? I am in FL and this sudden cold weather did not help for sure!

Yes strong positive parvo test and near Florida.
Brought in by holiday kennel help.

If your vet is coming out have him bring the snap test to be sure

Try to describe the smell of the poop.

Parvo and Coccidia both have strong smells.

With Coccidia on our property I find that it's most likely that it will show up around 6-7 weeks.

Their poop does not smell any different or any stronger.

My first pup that was sick DID NOT have the normal smell. She had been sick for 2 days when I took her into the vets. The vet even said she did not believe it to be parvo because the distinctive smell was not there.
Our rural county has no leash laws so she sees many parvo cases, so she knows what it smells like.

If fact she did an xray first thinking it was a blockage. We did the parvo test just to do it and she was surprised that it was strong positive. The smell did not come until day 4 with the bloody diarrhea.

I am not saying it is parvo but be sure to rule it out early on so you dont infect your other pups needlessly

Thank you for all the advise! Can you give me recommendations on how you have isolated the sick ones?

When we had Parvo several years ago, we put all the sick pups in a bathroom so we could bleach it down easily, bleached ourselves whenever we were in the room, bleached our property and had all non-sick pups in a seperate kennel individuallyt so in case there was one that had it and showed no signs yet, it would not spread to the others, just in case. We felt our pups would get better 24 hour care at home than at the vets office. I hope your pups are ok, I wouldn't wish Parvo on my worst enemy.

I would go with coccidia and giardia. If they have it while they are nursing and then the week after they have been taken from mom they can crash almost parvo. most parvo poop is just odd looking the first day then watery after that. With the other 2 look for loose stools and slim looking stuff in it.

Just because the vaccines were given 9 days ago, does not mean the reaction isn't from the shot. That's a problem with vaccines, the reactions don't always happen right away, so they very well could be the culprit.

let us know what the vet finds, hoping it is nothing serious!

While it could be the vaccines I would have the vet test for Parvo to be on the safe side.

Prayers continue for your sweet babies.

Please update when you can.

Consider Corona. It can make a pup very sick with diareeha, vomiting, lack of appetite, dehydration.

I have deposits on all six pups. Now I am trying to figure out what/how to tell those who are buying my pups if it ends up being parvo. How does that work with state health certs?

I waited until it was obvious most pups were going to be sick.

I then notified everyone and told them the truth.
Kennel help brought in parvo, pups were very sick but we were actively treating and hoped for the best.
They could wait to see how their pup came out of it or I would be glad to give a refund.

half are waiting, two wanted a refund.

My vet suggest waiting 10 days after pup is feeling better (eating and playing) before giving required FL vaccines and health certification.

Wait until you find out the results.
Dont lie it will only get you in more trouble and make you feel worse.

Unfortunately it is part of the game we play when breeding dogs. This is what the emergency funds are suppose to be put away for. I just blew through $3K easy.

Not Parvo!

Parvo came back negative but will continue retesting. My vet thinks it is gastroenteritis. The three are going on IV fluids and electrolytes for now and will be watched 24-7. Time to make some coffee. Thanks for all the advise!

So happy for you, like others said, I wouldn't wish parvo on my worst enemy, let alone a friend lab lover.

Keep us up to date on how they do.

Being in Florida myself and also having a tragic brush with Parvo over two years ago can you explain what the cold snap might have to do with Parvo?
I understand it can lie dormant in the soil for long periods of time, but does cold have any bearing? I was under the impression that it was amazingly hardy surviving both heat and cold but wondered if it was somehow more active or infectious in colder weather.
Thanks,
Annie

The smell is NOT always there, nor the blood nor the vomiting, don't rely on it to dx parvo

my guess for this case is probably cocci, good luck!

Glad it is not parvo but please get those pups on Albon.
Cocci can and will kill pups if not treated!