Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fewer stools-What food works?

I have a one year old lab girl that gets feed twice a day- two cups per meal.
She is in great shape, not fat at all, well muscled with lots of energy.
Here is the problem-
She is pooping five times a day!
Sometimes she does not make it out of the house before she poops. Vet cannot find anything wrong.
She is on Royal Canin #30 now but it was the same when she was on ProPlan Performance.
Read here once that they should poop no more than the number of meals a day?
What is wrong?
I have tried cutting back on her food but then she starts to look thin.
Any other food suggestions?
Any help welcome!

Re: Fewer stools-What food works?

You may have read other posts that say different foods have different results for different dogs. Having said that, here is my experience...

I currently have 5 dogs (ranging in age from 1 year old to 7 years old) on Canidae, each getting 1 1/2 cups twice a day, all good shape, not overweight, less-to-moderately active. Get two small, nicely formed, poops per dog per day. Got softer and more poops per dog per day on ProPlan C&R, and very soft stools (and chronic ear infections for my boy) on Wellness. Natural Balance and Eagle Pack stools were about the same as Canidae. I rotate kibble 2, maybe 3, times a year. No flames please, just sharing my experience. I'm sure it's different for others. Have a great day!

Re: Re: Fewer stools-What food works?

I have had great results from Solid Gold Barking at the Moon, Nature's Variety Instinct, and Taste of the Wild.

Grain free Evo or Orijen......less food needed ......small poops !!

I have my year old girl on ProPlan Selects and she has two nice firm poops twice a day, very easy to pick up.

I've also tried the regular ProPlan before the formula change, Eukanuba, and Eagle Pack and she has done best on the selects.

I feed bravo raw fewer stools, once daily, less waste.

My kids have good stools with Pro Plan.

about 8 weeks ago I switched to Wendy Voldhards NDF-2. I love it! Dogs look to be a very healthy weight, clear ears, smaller, firmer poops.

Thanks to all who gave their advice.
I have chosen the following four on their availability in my area.
Orijen (maybe the #6 Fish?)
Innova-Evo
Solid Gold Barking at the Moon
Blue Wilderness
Any additional comments or suggestions?
If you had to pick one from my list, which one would you pick?
Thanks!

all are very good foods. which ever one has the most calories will allow you to feed less. Less food equals less poo. I love Evo and Origen 6 fish. I try and switch kibble every once in a while. Could you imagine eating the same thing every day of you life?

I switch between Evo Red Meat and the Orijen 6 Fish.......no complaints !!