Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What would you do?

I had someone buy a pup from me as their second dog. It was quite an investment for this person, but she got her first dog from the shelter and spent a ton on her up front getting her over everything that was wrong with her when she brought her home. The buyer wanted to get a healthy dog the second time. So, pup is now over a year old, and has developed a slight entropion. This was not present as a pup, nor have I seen it in any of the other dogs I have produced, including any of this pups' littermates, and it was a large litter.

The buyer is a sweetheart. She has not asked me for anything; her concern is to take care of things so the pup isn't in pain. This is not something I warrent against in my contract. But, I feel really bad about this, even though there is no way I could have predicted this.

The surgery will cost her between $250 and $400, depending on where she has it done (the higher cost is lasar surgery). Would you pay all or part of the surgical costs? I was thinking about giving her $100 to help with the surgical costs, just because I do feel so bad about this. But I don't want it to be looked on as an admission of guilt or any such thing.

Again, she hasn't asked for anything, I just feel sad about this. What would you do?

Re: What would you do?

According to what you say you need to do nothing. However, on the flip-side you could be a great person and assist her as you mentioned. Surely she'd appreciate it. Puppy owners report the littlest things wrong with their pups (which I'm thankful for), but they also expect us to help finance things as well. I suppose it's just a case by case scenario that we need to evaluate and determine if we will assist or not.

My heart tells me to pay half of the surgery amounting to up to half of the purchase price, seems fair to me.

Re: Re: What would you do?

I had a puppy that developed a slight entropion eye lid at about 4-5 months old. I took him to a vet opthamologist and she said since it was not present at 8 weeks that it was mostlikely not genetic but rather developed due to an irritation or something.We tried stapells but I eventually had to have it surgicaly repaired annd then placed him in a pet home. Yes, he was my pick of the litter jeeper!

Ok - is there a spell check on this thing? Can't find one.......please grammar police leave me alone - I am just trying to help.

I'd cover half of it without even thinking about it.

My ophthalmologist said that entropian is often the result of the heads we are breeding. In that case I'd say it was genetic.

What does it hurt to make someone feel better and give yourself some good "press"?

You are a sweetie and I think you should go with your instinct and what will let you sleep well at night!

Think I would pay part also. Just a nice thing to do for her, the pup and you.

Re: Re: Re: What would you do?

I agree with majority here- if you have the capacity to- pay for up to half and I think YOU will feel good about it! Your gesture will speak volumes!

If they weren't asking for anything, I'd just recommend a good vet, and ask them to keep me posted. If they did ask for something, I'd MIGHT offer them half of what my vet of choice would charge for the sergery since it can be genetic but isn't actually covered in my contract.

I would feel bad, especially knowing they were looking for a dog that wouldn't need a lot of money put into fixing health problem--especially after their last experience. At the same time, they must understand that even thuogh we, as breeders, do our best to prevent numerious health issues, things can still happen that are beyond our control. No dog is genetically perfect or impervious to environmenatal factors.

I understand the feeling of wanting to reach out and help people, especially nice people who aren't demanding, however, when we offer to pay for things we aren't obligated to, it sends a message, not only of compassion and generosity, but it also sets a precedent that says anytime you have a problem, let the breeder pay for it. If we are too generous, people will take advantage and come to expect us to take the fall for everything. We have to draw the line somewhere.

Re: Re: Re: Re: What would you do?

Can you find out where she will have the surgery done and make a contribution ( of whatever amount you wish )directly to the vet ?
You can tell the puppy buyer or set it up that the vet office lets her know when she goes to pay for the surgery , that way it's a surprise to her.
Most vets nowadays take credit/debit cards so I'm sure that it'd be easy to do over the phone.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What would you do?

That's what I was wondering. Ok, so you've decided to contribute. How? Do you ask for paperwork first to confirm? People do weird things in this economy.

I personally would help with the costs without hesitation. That is just the type of person I am, covered in my contract or not. Many people would not do the right thing, but these people in my opinion are the people who breed for profit and have no care for the family they sold their "livestock" to

Re:Entropian
or any other medical issue that could even possibly be a result of genetics.
I would pay the bill, first, the truly honest and good people who struggle to afford one of my pups deserve my best. I ask them to love and protect the pup I give them and I take my end of the bargain very seriously and I do not look to my contract for a way out of what my heart tells me is the right thing to do.
Just my way,

Re: Re: Re: What would you do?

I would offer to pay. I have in the past. It was appreciated, and I felt great doing it.

This is my motto:
I breed to keep pick puppy for myself.
I breed for the passion of the sport, breeding the next champion, keeping in mind health is my main priority.
I need those awesome families to adopt the ones that don't make the cut, the ones I can't keep.
I will treat them well, as I, financially and competitively, can't keep all my pups.
I will step-up and do what's right, for my pups.
hen I can't do that anymore, I will stop breeding.

You will do the right thing - I can tell! You will make the people very happy - I can just feel it.

I had a somewhat similar situation once diagnosed by owner's primary vet.

First, when families relay info that there is some type of problem with the puppy, many times they are not looking for compensation for treatment, but just letting the breeder know because this is always what we tell them when our puppies go to live with them, that we are always there to offer advise and to feel free to contact us if there are ever any concerns. And that was the case when a puppy buyer called with a similar situation.

The might be upset when first calling, somewhat overwhelmed and are just looking for a listening ear from someone who cares about the puppy/dog as much as they do.

In our case, I told them I was very sorry they and the puppy were going through this, and said, "This is what I can offer to do to help, please let me do this." They were most appreciative and stated they weren't calling to ask for money, but just to let me know.
I asked them go to an ACVO I knew who is near where they live, I paid for the exam. ACVO quoted a near $2000 figure for the surgery, I then referred them to a vet in my area I use who I know has clients come from hours away for the same simple surgery and is very experienced (yes, may be simple but still want a good experienced vet), quoted less than a quarter of the cost, which I offered to pay. Surgery done nicely, follow up was with their local vet. Good job by the vet who did the surgery, no more problem with puppy, owners happy.

Offer to pay half but make your check to the VET, ask for a copy of the presurgical estimate and pay half of that.

I currently have Labs. One that has never had health problems and one that has. I am in contact with the breeder all the time and have relayed the problems along with questions etc to her. She has been very generous with suggestions that I appreciate so very much. I NEVER thought of asking for compensation as I love her no matter what. But if you feel it would be a nice gesture I applaud you. And for those that feel the same way and dont give their info... I dont know why? You should should be proud that you stand behind your dogs like you do. Hats off to you all !