Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help evaluate this food

I was looking at this new food what do you think based on ingredients and analysis percentages.

FRESH LAMB & CHICKEN MEAT
WHOLE GRAINS
VEGETABLES
HERBS
NO CHEMICAL PRESERVATIVES OR ADDITIVES
NO BY-PRODUCTS
NO CORN, WHEAT OR SOY
ESSENTIAL SKIN & COAT CONDITIONERS
DIGESTIVE ENZYMES
PROBIOTICS
CHELATED MINERALS

CHICKEN & BROWN RICE DRY FORMULA

Ingredients: Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Barley, Whole Oats, Chicken Fat, (Preserved naturally with mixed tocopherols Vitamins C & E), Fish Meal, Flaxseed Oil, Lecithin, Garlic Powder, Kelp, Carrots, Tomatoes, Alfalfa, Probiotics, Dried Parsley, Yucca Shidigera, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Zinc Proteinate (chelated source of zinc), Vitamin E supplement, Iron Proteinate (chelated source of iron), Manganous Proteinate (chelated source of manganese), Taurine, Calcium Carbonate, Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A supplement, Cobalt Proteinate (chelated source of cobalt), Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3 supplement, Copper Proteinate (chelated source of copper), Iodine supplement, Folic Acid, Menadione Sodium Bisulfate Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Selenium Proteinate (chelated source of selenium), Vitamin B12 supplement, Biotin.

Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein: Min. 25%, Crude Fat: Min. 14%, Crude Fiber: Min. 4%, Moisture: Max. 10%, Ash: Max. 5%

LAMB & BROWN RICE DRY FORMULA

Ingredients: Lamb Meal, Lamb, Brown Rice, Barley, Whole Oats, Fish Meal, Sunflower Oil, (Preserved naturally with mixed tocopherols Vitamins C & E), Canola Oil, Flaxseed Oil, Lecithin, Garlic Powder, Kelp, Carrots, Tomatoes, Alfalfa, Probiotics, Dried Parsley, Yucca Shidigera, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Zinc Proteinate (chelated source of zinc), Vitamin E supplement, Iron Proteinate (chelated source of iron), Manganous Proteinate (chelated source of manganese), Taurine, Calcium Carbonate, Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A supplement, Cobalt Proteinate (chelated source of cobalt), Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3 supplement, Copper Proteinate (chelated source of copper), Iodine supplement, Folic Acid, Menadione Sodium Bisulfate Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Selenium Proteinate (chelated source of selenium), Vitamin B12 supplement, Biotin.

Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein: Min. 22%, Crude Fat: Min. 11%, Crude Fiber: Min. 2%, Moisture: Max. 10%, Ash: Max. 6.5%

Re: Help evaluate this food

I believe you are referring to Show Bound Naturals. If I had to pick between the two, I would feed the L&R due to the lower protein content.

Here is a review from dog food analysis web site...

The first two ingredients of this food are named meat products. The second, lamb, is meat inclusive of its water content (about 80%) and once that is removed it is likely that this ingredient would be more accurately placed somewhat further down the ingredient list (ingredients are listed in order of weight). However, the presence of a meat meal ingredient high on the list gives us confidence that there is an adequate amount of meat in the food. There is a further meat meals (fish) 6th on the ingredient list. We note that the manufacturer does not claim to use ethoxyquin-free sources (ethoxyquin is a chemical preservative commonly added to fish destined for meal, and is believed to be carcinogenic).
The main carbohydrate source in the food is potatoes. The major grains in the food are oats, barley and rice. Oats are a good quality source of carbohydrates and B vitamins. Barley is also a good quality grain and carbohydrate source. Canola oil is a source of linoleic acid, but some manufacturers question the quality of this ingredient. Flaxseed oil is a high quality source of Omega 6 and Omega 3 essential fatty acids. The inclusion of some amount of vegetable matter and probiotics is appreciated.

Re: Help evaluate this food

they both seem fine. I like to see more protein but they ok.

Re: Re: Help evaluate this food

for what age dog? I wouldn't put a puppy on a food with the protein content of the lamb.

What I DO like about lamb is chances are it's from New Zealand and thus grass fed - higher omega 3's in grass fed animals.

Re: Re: Re: Help evaluate this food

while i was searching for a new food because my Labs were not doing great on Purina one Lamb and rice anymore I came accross some great info that helped me make a decission on woodhaven Labradors site , they have a link with an artical on food and how to understand the nutritien of ingredients and reading labels. was very helpful for me, maybe this wood also help you in making the decission as far as formula.