Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Does Tamiflu really work?

Does Tamiflu have any effect on parvo puppies…

This is my experience and opinion on how Tamiflu effected my puppies durng a parvo outbreak.
I purchased enough Tamiflu to cover both my litters that were exsposed to parvo on Jan 5th. I worked with my vet, pups were at home on IV with meds in bags. I would take pups doing poorly or getting worse into vets for re evaluation.

Two litters were effected
9 week old with 2 sets of vaccines and 6 weeks old, no vaccines.

First litter had vaccines on a Thursday, one pup left that day ( never became sick).
Once first pup became sick and was diagnosed following Monday.
I started both litters on Tamiflu in hopes that it would lessen the damage to the intestines.

My vet called in a prescription to Walmart for 10 bottles of 12 mg/ ml. This lasted me about 5 days and cost me $463.
The second order came from Road Runner Pharmacy 5 bottles of 50 mg/ ml for $375.

While giving the Tamiflu my older litter started getting sick.
First girl came through it 7 days
3 more girls became sick – 2 came through it 6 days, one died on day 5.
1 boy became sick and died day 5.
1 boy never got sick at all.

6 pups in all, 4 live, 2 die

Few days later the younger litter started getting sick, never had vaccines to young.
First three became sick, 1 boy was better by day 3, 2 girls better by day 7

2 boys and 2 girls became sick…I ran out of tamiflu by day 2…did not get a refill because they had been on it for 7 days already.

I lost both boys on day 5 and am currently trying to comfort the remaining 2 girls that are going to pass before morning.
1 girl never got sick.

7 pups in all, 3 lived, 4 die

Last week I would have said I wasted my money on the tamiflu, but today I wish I would have spent another $400 and given those remaining pups a better chance.

I believe Tamiflu helps support the puppy through the virus and gives them a better chance at survival.

Re: Does Tamiflu really work?

I don't know what else to say but how sorry I am for you and your babies.
Although not the same illness, I did lose almost an entire litter to herpes over the course of 2 weeks and I know how you feel.
God speed little ones...

Re: Re: Does Tamiflu really work?

JS, you did all you could. Try not to feel bad.

Re: Re: Re: Does Tamiflu really work?

Wow your story sounds just like mine a few months ago. I had a litter that got it at 5 weeks. I lost a wonderful 3 month old that was going to be my first breeder owner show girl. In the litter I had 3 that went home before symptoms. I put all the puppies back on mom in hopes to help them be stonger. 2 of the 3 that left were all in the ER with their new owners died. then my 3 month old died. The other 4 in the litter were here still. day by day a new one would stop eating. They still looked and acted great just stopped eating. I put them all on IVs and kept them home. I gave then more fluids that they might have needed and did that every 2 hours day and night in between the tears. I offered them everything i could and was forcing small amounts of water with probiotics. I save all the puppies I had with me. It is such an up and down thing and you never know what the turn out is going to be.
I know how you feel and just try to rest a few days only to get out to bleach EVERYTHING yard house side of house toys dog areas. Look into neopar also. I had a litter that was 2 weeks old when this all happened and NONE of them got with a neopar shot at 4 weeks old.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Does Tamiflu really work?

BTW I did not get to use any of the tamiflu. I wanted to but was too afraid to leave them to go get it.

Were they on antibiotics?

I am so sorry, I have no answers for you but I want you to know that alot of us have been there. I know you are tired, I know you are heartbroken but keep your head up, it's gonna be okay. A few years ago I lost 3 pups, after 2 vaccinations! I sat on my couch with one of the girls for 8 days holding her in my arms only putting her down for a min or two at a time when I absolutely had to. She fought so hard to live. I sang to her, I kissed her and faithfully administered meds, and then I sang to her some more. After having lost the 2 other pups I was so determined , and more than likely delirious from the lack of sleep, to help her fight to live. I will never forget that just as I started singing my made up song about "here comes the sun and you made it through another night", she gave up her fight and crossed the rainbow bridge. Like probably all of us do, I told her I loved her and told her to run free. I remember watching the sun come up as tears rolled down my face and immediatley started doubting myself and wondering what more I could have done. At that moment a very peaceful and comforting thought came to mind that I will always feel was sent by my Father to comfort me when I most needed it. So I want to pass it on to you.

We are given blessings and granted the honor of sharing our lives and caring for one of the most incredible breeds ever developed. We do not control the outcome,there will be things over which we have no final say. It is when we give everything we have to give of ourselves, that we have done all that we could do.

I am proud of you and from your post you have fought the good fight for them, take heart and know that prayers are with you tonight from a "sisterhood" that knows what you are going through. May God strengthen you and watch over you now and always.
Tina and "kids"

thank you for the kind words I feel mentally and physically drained.
yes the pups were all penicillin and near the end of the ones not doing well we added baytril hoping it would push them over it.
The IV bags were spiked with dextrose, tagment and regen.

This sad event brought me insight to a family in need.
One of the vet techs that I have known for 8 years gave her heart and soul in taking care of the babies that were at the office. Over the week end my vet was not on call so the tech gave me her cell number in case I needed something for one of the pups.

Saturday night one of the boys was crashing hard and needed an IV. She lived 30 minutes from town so I offered to drive out to her. At first she did not want me to come due to her living conditions. I told her I did not judge people on how they lived. When I arrived at her grandmothers small trailer, I had to pass it by to the ted shed that she and her 2 year old daughter lived in. It was surprising warm and cozy considering the temps were in the 20's. Her daughter was bouncing around on the bed watching TV and chatting away. As we worked on the pup.

As I drove home I realized how good my life really is even going through terrible times like this.
I have been trying to figure out how to help without hurting her pride.

I am so glad to hear that someone was there to help. Often times we are given an opportunity to be a blessing to others even in the middle of a struggle of our own. Here's just a thought and sometimes something I do when I really want to reach out to someone but do not want to hurt thier pride. I use the ol' secret santa approach. Maybe you have her address now and could send a secret santa gift in the mail. It's just a thought, and something I have done to share a blessing without anyone knowing it was me.

I was just wondering in the effort to learn more about this horrible thing. you put

Saturday night one of the boys was crashing hard and needed an IV

How soon were you putting them on an IV. My vet (who I love) did not put the girl i brought in on an IV because she thought with her having 2 shots and her age that it would just be a mild case. I took her in becasue she had stopped eating and she was still playing and acting great. She was the first one lost. When the other 6 week old puppies show the first sign of not eating and took them up told her i wanted an IV port put in and bought several bags. At this point they were still happy and playing. So she said she did not think they needed the IV. I had her do it anyway. Took 2 times as much fluid as she wanted me to. Good thing my vet loves me too!
I guess what i am trying to see is if when a puppy gets on IV fluids and how much you give will make the diff in surviving??? All of the 4 pups i treat got better in about 4 days with just and overdose of fluids.

once pups stopped eating, started vomiting we gave SQ ringers at 400 ml per day plus they were drinking pedilyte as well. once the diarrhea started they were put on IV.
If anything the last few where put on earlier than the first few.

pups that pulled through in a few days never went on IV's they pulled through on their own with some SQ fluids.

terrible game of chance

So sorry to hear about your loss of your puppies due to Parvo. I always worry about my pups getting Parvo, Heard horror stories but it's not hit us yet. I'm curious if you are suspect as to how Parvo came to your puppies ? Dog shows, vet offices, cerf clinics etc. ????

I did hear about one breeder who had 2 litters come down with it after she took them in for their eye cerf exams. Now days so many breeders of all breeds are taking their entire litters in for Cerf Exams.

Wishing all of you who are suffering along side your Parvo affecte puppies the best of luck and a quick recovery

Sorry I am asking so much. I know how bad this was for you. Did your vet say 400ml a day? I was doing 100 every 2 hours day and night. so that was 1200 for a 6 week old puppy. Does anyone else know what a typical number would be? That seems like a big diff to me.

7 days before the first outbreak I went off to mother in laws for xmas, half a day.
Very good friend who has always taken care of my dogs when I out of town stopped by to check on the dogs before and after she went to her daughters house for dinner.
Found out later her son had brought to his sisters house 2 - 12 week old bulldog puppies a breeder gave him. My friend made a comment that they were skinny and free and needed to be wormed.
My guess is they had just gotten over parvo were still shedding out. friend is very responsible but not a breeder so it probably never crossed her mind not to step on my property after being with those two pups. She feels terrible what happened but I dont blame her, I blame me for not staying home.

Lesson learned....we dont go anywhere as long as pups are on the property. Will be more strict with visitors coming to the property.

to answer the question, she stated a 10 lb normal pup would need 400- 500 ml, adding more as they vomit, etc. those getting SQ were still drinking pedilyte on their own.

I know what you mean about more stict with the visitors. We put a fence up that block the driveway from our front yard. Before I would let people come inside to see or play in the yard with them. Now they do not come in my yard and I will bring them out to see. I feel bad like they are going to think I am hiding something but oh well.

Re: Re: Re: Does Tamiflu really work?

Last year I tried something new with my puppies since I was leary about taking them to the Cerf appointment without any vaccinations. I hate giving my pups the 5 in 1 shot too early. I tried Neopar on my pups when they were 6 weeks old and instructed the new owners to take their 8 week old pups to their vet in 2 Weeks for their first 5 in 1 Vaccination and to follow up every 3 weeks until they are 18 weeks old. I bought the Neopar in the bottle since it was cheaper that way.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Does Tamiflu really work?

Yep Neopar was my answer. I give a neopar at almost 5 weeks. Then I can give the 5 way right before they go home.

I am so very sorry for your loss and hope with your new policy, you will be able to avoid this in the future. There are to guarantees but it will definitely lessen the chance of transmission. I admire that you were honest with your buyers. It is too tempting for some to just pass it off as a flu to an unknowing buyer. Wow, that is at least two florida breeders with parvo right now. My herd is going to stay far away from the "Sunshine State"! Good luck in the future.

Are you sure it was Parvo? Might want to check this out...

http://nypugclub.org/health/ShowCrud.htm

Campylobacter is a form of food poison. It can be passed from people to dogs and then back to people again. It is also referred to as "Show Crud" as it is very common in show dogs.

This disease is becoming more wide spread. As the winter begins to pass into early spring each year, a new wave of deaths occur from this. And each year, the question comes up again: "Is this a new strain of Parvo?" and each time there are 100 different replies.

This disease is so similar to Parvo, that some dogs have tested in the low positive for Parvo. In most cases they DO NOT have Parvo and it has been recommended that three Parvo tests are needed to exclude Parvo. this disease seems to move from the West to the East through the dog shows.

SYMPTOMS : These can mimic Parvo. The diarrhea does not always have the foul odor. It usually progresses as follows. Begins with mucus-covered solid stools, loose stools, progresses to diarrhea, profuse diarrhea, the squirts, depressed appetite with or without vomiting. The diarrhea may be watery or sticky and can contain (but not always) blood. These symptoms can be minor to severe. Some animals hardly show any symptoms, while others can become fatally dehydrated. Also seen are temperature drops and shock followed by death and all within 12-24 hours. In very young puppies you will hear them cry quite loudly and nothing will comfort them, then respiratory problems occur. Puppies need attention immediately as the fatality rate is high.

Thought you might want to reun this by your vet. Did you ever have the pups that passed away checked out to confirm original diag?