Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
weaning dams?

I have a girl whose pups are 6 weeks old and I'd like her to stop nursing.

She is only going in once or twice a day, but I think it is time to stop.

Any suggestions?

Re: weaning dams?

Sounds like she is doing just fine. Leave her do her own thing.

Re: Re: weaning dams?

I always let my girls guide me in the weaning of their puppies. Most of the time, I let my momma dogs hang out with their puppies all the way till it's time for the pups to go to their new homes..8 weeks. We've never had problems with our girls getting mastitis by allowing free nursing that long. The pups learn so much by hanging out with their mom.

Years ago we had a girl who loved her pups but when their teeth started coming in, this momma dog hated to nurse during that 4 to 6 week stage. I had to force her to go in and nurse those last couple weeks.

Any particular reason you want her to stop nursing at 6 weeks? Sounds like she is already slowing down on her own. Sometimes I get asked if taking the pups off at 6 weeks will help the bitch's tummy tuck back up. I have no perfect date or timeline to wean the pups, it just happens on it's own. The pups start nursing less cause they are being fed twice a day and the mom's only want to go in with them a couple of times during the day anyway until eventually the "bar" dries up. As far as tucking those tummies back up! EASY! To quote one of my all-time favorite cartoon movie characters,Dory! "Just keep swimming,Just keep swimming..... If ya can't swim then we do alot of wagon wheel drills and baseball drills and that does the trick.

My girl weans her pups herself when she thinks the time is right. Her last two litters she nursed 3-4 times a day until they were 6 weeks and then pretty much weaned them herself the few days after they turned 6 weeks...she did not want to go in with them for about 3 days then when she did her milk was gone. This litter is not quite 5 weeks and she only wants to nurse them twice a day. There are 11 pups and they drain her dry in about 3 minutes flat and then she wants OUT.

My pups move from house to puppy pens at 5-6 weeks.
Door is open but I use a 2 foot high barrier to keep pups in but mom can come and go as she pleases.

They decide how much they want to be with the pups. Most of my moms nurse once or twice a day at least to 6 weeks old. When they just want to play or be with the pups they will lay with teats tucked up under and give a little growl if pups try to nurse.

I like this set up because many of my older girls love to go in and play with the pups ( even if they are not theirs), great socializing for the litter before the go to their new homes.

Like most of the other folks who responded, I let my girl decide when it's time.

For her last litter, she nursed up until the night before they went home at 8 weeks old. She was only going in once a day, and like Sherry said, they could drain her in just a couple of minutes (there were 8 of them). She just loved to play with her pups - got down on the ground on her back and let them climb all over her and tug on her tail and neck. I couldn't think of a good reason not to let her play with them...it's quite funny to watch too.

I suggest you let her tell when she's done. So long as she enjoys them, you (as well her and the pups) are lucky, I think.

What about with worming the pups? Can't they continue to have issues if the dam is still feeding?

I was informed that the dam needs to stop nursing about two weeks prior to the pups first vaccinations - which would be around 6 weeks. For those of you who do let your bitch nurse the pups up to the time they leave or however long she wants to - any issues with the mother's immunities over-riding the vaccination?

I let my bitches nurse right up to the first puppy vaccines if they want to. But, I will limit it to once per day for the few days leading up. I do not do vaccines until almost 8 weeks old. I was also concerned with interference with the vaccines but I understand that is not a problem with the new vaccines. I would like to confirm that though.

I guess what ever works, my pups are totally weaned by six weeks. I feel sorry for a bitch that has to run from 10 pups with teeth, tugging at her the whole time. I start crate training my pups a few days before they go home , the owners love it because the pup is content and no crying. Much less stressful for the pup. If the pup nurses up to the moment they are taken to a new home, well, I would worry about that really stressing the pup. I guess if some of you do that then it is probably not a big deal.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Like most of the other folks who responded, I let my girl decide when it's time.

For her last litter, she nursed up until the night before they went home at 8 weeks old. She was only going in once a day, and like Sherry said, they could drain her in just a couple of minutes (there were 8 of them). She just loved to play with her pups - got down on the ground on her back and let them climb all over her and tug on her tail and neck. I couldn't think of a good reason not to let her play with them...it's quite funny to watch too.

I suggest you let her tell when she's done. So long as she enjoys them, you (as well her and the pups) are lucky, I think.

I start to introduce food for the pups at 3 weeks. They usually are really liking it at 4 weeks and they are weaned by 6 weeks or so (except for a stollen treat). I don't like to see the moms have to produce so much for large pups.

I do it gradual, but by 6 weeks they are wean. Hope to get the girls back out showing if the first litter. Also, hate to see the pups so big nursing and making her red. If they have been eating since 3 weeks, they are fine.