Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Writing your legislators

I've posted this before but with all this legislation coming out it bear repeating. I'd only like to add that it might be a good idea to get a Post office box for your return address. It should be in your home zip code for it to match your district for your legislators though. Also if you got a new legislator in the last election make yourself known, offer your advice regarding dogs, let them know you are a concerned constituent. The ARs in your area probabaly already have.

FIRST of all... know who your legislators are. http://www.naiatrust.org/gov/index.htm
can help you figure this out. You can also get good information from the various email lists. I know we don't have time to read more email - but think about getting at least one for your home state or for dogs only. This one is much less busy than Pet-law but often has the same crossposts that it does. Send an email to doglegislation-subscribe@yahoogroups.com to set up a subscription. If you don't like it you can always unsubscrube.

Communicating with Legislators By Mail or Fax

First Rule! DO NO HARM - be Polite!

Use the proper form of address on the envelope and inside address. For senators and representatives: The Honorable [Full Name]

Start your letter: Dear Senator [last name] or Dear Representative [last name]

Make your letter legible. Handwritten letters are great, but if your handwriting isn't very easy to read, type the letter!
It must contain your name, return address and telephone number – readable!
Always be polite. Never, never preach, threaten, or scold!
In the first sentence, state your position. "I oppose [bill number]" or "I am against..."
Then introduce yourself: "I am a hobby breeder of Flat Island Zorchers in Bug Run."
Be clear and concise. State exactly why the legislation concerns you.
Focus on one or two issues at a time – don't try to cover everything in one letter.
Use personal examples. Say how the legislation would affect you.
Say exactly what you want – not ,"Please consider this carefully," but "Please vote AGAINST this."
Keep it short – no more than one page long.
End by saying "Thank You" and " I look forward to your response."

Re: Writing your legislators

Thanks a bunch, Gina ! This is exactly what I was looking for ! I'll start writting my letter as soon as possible !