Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
now they're going after horses, too!!

The new legislative sessions continue to go after us animal owners.....

NH: Licensing Horses

>
> OKAY, now I have seen and read it all!!!! NH is wanting to license and
> register horses as if they are dogs and cats not agricultural animals.
>
>
> New Hampshire House of Representatives website:
> HOUSE BILL 427-FN-A-LOCAL
> AN ACT relative to equine licenses.
> http://tinyurl.com/cs7ng2
>

Re: now they're going after horses, too!!

This is nothing new....they have been trying it for years.
NY State thought they were going to trick everyone into micro chipping our horses and filing them all with the Equine ID program, LMAO!
That was short lived.

Re: Re: now they're going after horses, too!!

micro chipping our horses................

ALL my horses are microchipped!!!!! For the same reason that all my dogs are microchipped. And, I didn't need a law to make me do it.

Re: Re: Re: now they're going after horses, too!!

You misunderstand, these are special chips made by the State Ag Dept.
It's a sort of census program for horses you see?
Not my idea of freedom...

Re: Re: Re: Re: now they're going after horses, too!!

I thought they were doing this with cattle??

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: now they're going after horses, too!!

Exactly... They do.
They want to classify horses are livestock and require it for them too.
One proposal was for EAR TAGS!!
Each horse would be "tracked" through their "system" and if ever there an outbreak of disease, they could show up and destroy your horses just because they are part of their "tracking program".
Nice huh?
This isn't Avid for equines people, this is Big Brother.

Microchipping horses is a good idea. At least in Canada they have to ID the horses before they go on to the property of the slaughter house. If it's microchipped you might save your horse.

I microchip my sheep to keep more accurate statistics on them.

Re: Re: now they're going after horses, too!!

Ok I agree with perm ID being a good thing however, the government ID program is something entirely different.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: now they're going after horses, too!!

Yes, Big Brother seems to be the way these days
What ever happened to our individual privileges??
Like what disease would cause such a outbreak? Not nice and it is just going to get worse.

How so?

All ruminants have to be identified due to BSE and scrapie.

All CKC registered dogs have to have a permanent identification.

I'd see being upset if they wanted to microchip you but if permanent identification can save animals from diseases or untimely destruction then I'm all for it.

Is it a money issue that people do not want to spend some money to protect their horses?

Why wouldn't they want to mocro chip the horses too. The race horses have had numbers under their top lip for years AQHA now has your horses picture on their reg. papers and on file all sides of the horse. So if you want to mocro chip them go ahead. I also believe that in certain parts of the country horses are stolen more than others. Right now the slaughter houses are closed and people are letting their horses run free because they can't pay for them anymore, and the secret slaughter houses aren't going to check for a chip or anything else. Personally all my dogs and my horses are chipped and they all have pictures of all sides just in case.

Florida law requires the use of Government tags in our boer goats before they leave our property. Although it is considered mandatory, breeders dont tag for private sales unless they are leaving the state or going to livestock markets.

But it is not a mandatory law in Florida for cattle. We Tag our Angus cattle but it is for our own personal records. We do have premises ID on our farms but these ID are from 20 years ago when brucellosis was still being tested for.

A regular microchip is one thing but hhese are RADIO microchips the government wants implanted in horses. IOW they can track the movements of your horse so if you go riding over to the neighbor's or in a state park it is all recorded. This is an invasion of my privacy and I will fight it.

Deb, I understand your reasons for fighting the microchips but I think the pros outweigh the cons.

If they are radio chips then they can really help find lost and stolen horses.

And I really find it hard to believe that the government is going to spend it's time tracking which trail everyone rides on with their horses.

I think it's taking paranoia to extremes.