Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pancytopenia or Non-Regenerative Anemia? HELP NEEDED!

I would appreciate so much any thoughts or suggestions anyone may have. My almost 3-yr old chocolate girl became droopy and slow to eat. Wednesday I took her to the Vet. Her temp was over 104, her gums were dull, she seemed to have an enlarged abdomen. The Vet drew blood and did blood tests and determined she had a low white count, low red count, low platelet count. She tested negative for erhlickia. He did a blood smear and examined it and didn't find indication that she is producing any blood cells. After further review of the tests the Vet thinks my girl has pancytopenia. He does not think she is producing any new blood cells. Today he did a bone marrow biopsy and drew another vial of blood and has sent it to the lab. The biopsy was from the femur, so my girl has several stitches in the side of her hip. I know she must be hurting...bless her heart! I'm just about crazy with worry. It may be Monday before we hear from the lab with any diagnosis. But it seems the "possibilities" are all pretty grim! The Vet said today he might have to do a couple of blood transfusions to keep her alive until we could see if she would respond to any treatment, but the prognosis still might be bad. I asked if this was something where she would just get worse over time. He said he thought it would be said and done within a week! This is all so out of the realm of my understanding. PLEASE if anyone has any information that might be helpful, please post it. Please share with me any experience with this type of problem, good or bad, I want to know what to expect. Thanks!

Re: Pancytopenia or Non-Regenerative Anemia? HELP NEEDED!

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/health/ce.htm

Re: Re: Pancytopenia or Non-Regenerative Anemia? HELP NEEDED!

http://www.antechdiagnostics.com/clients/antechnews/2007/pdf/feb07.pdf

Re: Re: Re: Pancytopenia or Non-Regenerative Anemia? HELP NEEDED!

I am so very sorry to hear about your girl's illness, did they rule out hemangioscarcoma? The bloated abdomen is what makes me suspect that. I would have an ultrasound done.
Prayers she will recover from this.
Aloha,
Jackie