Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
canidae- any thoughts good or bad

Any thoughts on the Canidae food? Please give me good and bad experiences. Thanks

Re: canidae- any thoughts good or bad

I loved it before they changed the formula. I couldnt stand the gas or runny poss so I switched my girls.

I have not fed it but have heard enough negative from others to discourage me from ever trying it. I have heard some people support this food too but certainly I have personally heard more bad than good.

As you will learn on this forum, there are as many opinions as there are stars in the sky (or anon people), whichever is greater.

I have fed Canidae off and on for nearly 7 years. I typically change kibble 2 to 3 times a year and Canidae is always on my rotation list. It is currently being fed to my crew of 5 Labs with the same excellent results I have had in the past. Good coat, two well-formed poops per dog per day, no weight gain or loss at 1 1/2 cups per adult dog twice a day. My Labs range in age from 1 year old to nearly 7 years old and we don't have any issues on Canidae.

I think you simply need to give any food a couple of months and when you find something that works, rotate it in and out of your feed schedule.

Good luck!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Any thoughts on the Canidae food? Please give me good and bad experiences. Thanks

Most of my dogs did well on the old formula and are also doing well on the new. I did cut them back as to how much I feed when the formula changed - adults are getting two cups a day. A couple of the younster's stool was a bit loose on both the old and new so they are getting a different food. I like the ingredients and the price is very good (less than $1 a pound).

But as has been mentioned many times, not all food agrees with all dogs. So now I have three bins of food instead of just one!

We fed Canidae many years ago when it was just starting to come to the east. Had wonderful results with the labs and received many comments at shows on their wonderful coat and overall physical conditioning. After quite a few years on it, the dogs starting losing weight and feeding more of the food caused soft piling stools so switched to other brands over the next 5 or so years. Early 2008 went back to Canidae because of it's reasonable price for the number of labs we need to feed and good quality ingredients. Have stuck with it even with the change in formulas. It took several months for the guys to get accustomed to the change but they are all doing extremely well on the new forumulations. We use the ALS, Chicken, and grain-free ALS formulas and are very pleased with the weights, condition, and overall health in our guys.

I've had great luck with Canidae both regular All Life Stages and the grain free All Life Stages. If you join the breeders program you get every sixth bag free so the cost per pound of the 44# bag of All Life Stages is $.89 for me here in the north east.

My dogs love Canidae. I'm currently feeding a mixture of ALS and Grainfree Salmon for the colder winter months. They have done very good with this food for the past several years and I actually prefer how they are doing on the New formula.

Also one of the things I really like is that when I buy the food I'm supporting the small independant retailers, mine happens to be a nice family from our small community. As a one time small bussiness owner I know how important the little guys is, especially in troubled economic times like these.

I give the food and the company a big Thumbs Up

I had no problems at all with the formula change and actually like the new formula better. Coats seem better, and I like that they replaced some of the rice w/ other carbs. Been feeding it over 10 yrs to my adults.