Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Safe-Guard

Is Safe-Guard essentially the same thing as Panacur? Is it non-prescription? Is it any cheaper? Does anyone use it?

Re: Safe-Guard

It is the same EXACT drug however it comes in different suspensions so the dose is not always the same as Panacur depending on which Safe Guard you get.

It's exactly the same as 10% liquid Panacur. I use the dosages given out by the company here:

http://www.intervet.co.uk/Products_Public/Panacur_10__Liquid/090_Product_Datasheet.asp

Weights are in kilograms - there are approximately 2.2 lbs/kg if you want to calculate dosages in pounds.

I personally do the worming of pregnant bitches from day 40 of pregnancy through whelping to minimize/eliminate any worms passed from mom to puppies.

Re: Re: Safe-Guard

Patty keep in mind that Safe Guard comes in granules also and they are NOt the same so it is dangerous to use without knowing the exact dosage because the granules are higher in content than the liquid, if that makes sense.
It also comes in another liquid form that is labled for goats and that too, is a different concentration.

Re: Re: Re: Safe-Guard

I buy the liquid Safe-guard for Goats. It is a 10% suspension. I dose approx 1cc per 5 lbs of weight. Technically, it is 1cc per 4.4 pounds. I attach a short pipette to the syringe for pulling the liquid out of the jug and for dosing the pups. This makes it a "heavy" 1cc with the small additional in the pipette. I dose the pups three days in a row at 3, 4 and 5 weeks. This protocol was recommended by the top puppy expert at K-State years ago and I have used it ever since.

It tastes terrible to the pups. Deven Grimaldi has tried flavoring it so the pups don't hate it so much. I'm sure she will chime in and explain.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Safe-Guard

Yes, I add some Crystal Lite to the bottle. I get the "to go" packs that are meant to be used in a 16 oz bottle of water. Then I just add 1 and "shake, shake, shake. Shake your bottle." Sorry, I couldn't resist. My kids love that song in the commercial!
Anyways, the puppies take it better with flavoring.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I buy the liquid Safe-guard for Goats. It is a 10% suspension. I dose approx 1cc per 5 lbs of weight. Technically, it is 1cc per 4.4 pounds. I attach a short pipette to the syringe for pulling the liquid out of the jug and for dosing the pups. This makes it a "heavy" 1cc with the small additional in the pipette. I dose the pups three days in a row at 3, 4 and 5 weeks. This protocol was recommended by the top puppy expert at K-State years ago and I have used it ever since.

It tastes terrible to the pups. Deven Grimaldi has tried flavoring it so the pups don't hate it so much. I'm sure she will chime in and explain.

Assuming I am careful with dosages and flavor......

Is Safe-Guard non-prescription and does it work out to be cheaper than Pancur? In fact, I always get Panacur from my vet and I am assuming is is prescription and it may not be. He gives me a discounted price but it still is expensive. I buy it by the tub.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Safe-Guard

Deven,

I assume if you use the crystal lite you have to finish the bottle right away?

Replying to:

Yes, I add some Crystal Lite to the bottle. I get the "to go" packs that are meant to be used in a 16 oz bottle of water. Then I just add 1 and "shake, shake, shake. Shake your bottle." Sorry, I couldn't resist. My kids love that song in the commercial!
Anyways, the puppies take it better with flavoring.

Replying to:

Doesn't Crystal Light contain artificial sweeteners? I would check the label for ingredients, some srtifcial sweeteners are toxic to dogs. Mine here suck Safe Guard right out of the syringe, and my vet says it tastes like honey. (No, I haven't tasted it)

Yes, I know it's available in different forms, so that's why I linked directly to the manufacturer's information for the form of the fenbendazole that I use. If people aren't capable of reading the information and applying it to the appropriate form of the medication, they shouldn't be trying to self-treat their animals. I'm assuming most people can figure out that 10% liquid is NOT the same a 22.2% granules, etc...

Hi... yes, it's the same. I use the horse paste in the syringe because it's flavored and palatable. Puppies take it quite easily.

Even though we are on ivomec for skeeters here, I dose the dogs 3x a year w/ safeguard to make sure they stay clean of worms. Just regular ivomec for heartworm protection doesn't take care of worms. I just put it on their food and down it goes.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Safe-Guard

No, I use a bottle for one litter, then discard it. I get the small bottles of the safeguard (labeled for goats).

It does not contain Xylitol, so is not toxic. It is such a tiny amount of crystal lite too. My puppies vomited immediately after being given the safeguard, so I flavor it. My vet does not carry it, so maybe the dog version does taste like honey. I assure you that mine does not. I have accidentally had to taste it; NASTY!

Replying to:

Doesn't Crystal Light contain artificial sweeteners? I would check the label for ingredients, some srtifcial sweeteners are toxic to dogs. Mine here suck Safe Guard right out of the syringe, and my vet says it tastes like honey. (No, I haven't tasted it)

Yes, the paste is flavored - but harder to dose in that form for me. I use the Goat suspension, but it does not have the same flavoring as the paste. Puppies usually hate it. I don't reflavor mine, so I can tell by the looks on the little faces that it must be yucky to them - and Lab pups will generally eat ANYTHING!

Well, you'd be suprised....
Better safe than sorry

Sherry what dosage do you use with the horse version?

For puppy wormings, I use an amount about the size of 1/2 my little finger nail...for older pups/adults full size.

I just squeeze it out onto my finger and put it into their cheek or the roof of their mouth for the babies....big dogs, on their food.

Actually the safe guard paste requires a great deal to meet the requirements. If the plunger states 100lbs you need to times that by 4. it has to do with the way it is suspended.

Now you know why I use the liquid The paste is difficult to dose accurately due to the difference in suspension and my fingernail may not be the same size as someone else's

dosage per mg/ml is the same you need to know what your using to work out the correct dosage.

Fenbendazole (Panacur), well known for its effectiveness against a variety of intestinal parasites, also appears to be very effective against Giardia. In a controlled trial at Cornell 6/6 dogs were effectively treated. The same dose that is used to treat roundworms, hookworms, whipworms, and the tapeworm Taenia pisiformis (22 mg/lb orally once daily for 3 consecutive days) is used to treat Giardia. If the infection is not cleared on this regimen, a longer course of therapy is used (5 to 7 days). Fenbendazole has a proven track record for being very safe and is thought to not have any teratogenic effects. Fenbendazole is therefore the drug of choice for treatment of Giardia in pregnant animals.

Todd R. Tams, DVM, Dipl ACVIM
VCA West Los Angeles Animal Hospital
Diagnosis and Management of Giardia

on bottle or box recommends a much smaller dosage for livestock and that is correct for pigs, horses, and cattle but not for dogs. It takes almost 5 times more of this wormer to be effective in dogs than in large livestock.Every Vet I have ever talked to says the correct dosage is 100 mg (1cc) of active ingredient per 5 lbs of body weight given for 3 consecutive days.

I always use corn syrup to make the liquid Panacur taste okay for puppies. I just suck the correct amount of the wormer into the syringe first, then I suck up some (1-2 times the amount of meds) next. Puppies then taste the corn syrup first and are very happy to take the whole amount - I slowly squirt the medication into the corner of their mouths. Works for me.

Who has the best prices for Safeguard?

I get mine from http://www.lambertvetsupply.com/SafeGuard-Suspension-10-1000-ml-Bottle--pr--0160071000

it is 1000ml for 104$ and it last a long time. I think it is a 3 year shelf life in the frigde.

I buy the small ones (125 ml) for about $15 and use one per litter. Since I don't breed frequently, that works best for me.

how many adult dogs will that bottle do Maureen?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Safe-Guard

I don't use the liquid on adults. It would take nearly 20 cc of the liquid for each worming on an 80 pound dog. Make that times three (or 5) days in a row and add it up yourself. The small bottle is 125 cc.

You may find the large paste tubes to be cheaper on the adults than the liquid.
be sure to get the correct dosage, around 3-4 clicks(400 lb mark) for a 100 lb dog.

Dyne works extremely well for masking the bitter taste of medications. Dyne can be purchased at vet supply sites. It is carmel flavored and is also a great supplement to have on hand for rehabilitating dogs or weak pups.