Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Safe to bring Pups outside

I live in the Northeast and we are going through a good northeast cold snap. At what age would you bring your pups outside, what temperature is safe, how long etc? I want them to experience the great outdoors but even my bitch doesn't like staying out very long. Any suggestions?

Re: Safe to bring Pups outside

Right now our yard is like a skating rink. If I had a litter of pups, I would probably take them in the garage at about five weeks and if it was (give or take) about 32 degrees outside - I would take them out for a few minutes each day. I have even taken this age out in light snow if it wasn't too cold. By 6 or 7 weeks, I would have them going out to pee as many times as possible, even if I had to spread pine shavings over the ice and snow for better footage.

How old are your pups?

My pups are 4 1/2 weeks old and I live in Maryland. My pups "live" in my great room (kitchen, family room setup)

Yesterday was 48 and sunny so we spent the better part of the day outside. Today started in the low 40's so we went outside after breakfast for about 30 minutes.

When it is the 30's they will be either in their playpen or go to their playroom instead of outside except for about 15 minutes after they eat and before they go to bed.

At 7 weeks, they will spend about an hour outside two or three times a day regardless of the temperature. If it snows, they will get a good romp in that but will mostly be inside.

Bonnie

even in warmer temps I would not put my 4 week old litter outside on the ground. Usually by 6 weeks they are in an inside outside pen area and don't touch grass until second set of vaccines at 8 weeks.

At 4 weeks mom is still cleaning up after them so not such a mess to deal with.

why wouldn't you put your 4 1/2 week old pups on the ground outside?

Bonnie

Re: Re: Safe to bring Pups outside

I was just going to ask the same thing!

Re: Re: Re: Safe to bring Pups outside

Last litter was 4 weeks the first week of January. We started going outside for 10-15 minutes and by 6 weeks we were hanging around outside an hour at a time- snow, wind and cold. What great coats they had! Me- I just bundled up, but we all had a blast! Perfected leaf chasing technique and learned a little gardening! We went from the food bowl to outside- everyone was housebroken before they went home!

Guess I'm projecting how much I dislike the cold on my pups! They will be 5 weeks old this week. We still have snow, some ice but the yard where they will go is not to slick. Guess I'll bundle up and bring them out, I'm sure they will love the snow.

I guess I also missed something in your message about how your dogs don't touch grass - you mentioned that your dogs don't touch grass until their "second" set of vaccines at 8 weeks.

You have two sets of vaccinations by the time they are 8 weeks old?

Might you also tell me about the "sets of vaccines" you give so that they have had two by the time they are 8 weeks old?

Mine only have one by 8 weeks but maybe I am missing something?

Bonnie

Re: Re: Safe to bring Pups outside

I have 2 in mine at 8 weeks because of our warmer temps and the threat of parvo. I use neopar (parvo only) at about 5 weeks then a 5 way right befor they go home at 8 weeks. neopar is very safe for younger puppies.

I also give vaccines at 5 ( parvo only) and 7 weeks (puppy shots given by vet) before they leave.
So this would put them as having 2 sets of vaccines before 8 weeks.

The warmer states have a threat of parvo all year long.
not worth the risk.
Mine stay inside or on concrete until after the second vaccine, they they start playing in the back yard.