Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
NLR~Question about lenses for a Canon XTi

Someone once told me that the lenses from some of the older non-digital film SLR camera's would work on the new digital Canon's like the XTi. Is this true?

Re: NLR~Question about lenses for a Canon XTi

Why don't you go to a photography forum and pose this question?

Well I could Herbert, but I don't know of any I tried to Google it but ..Nope! nothing came up. There are several people on this forum who use the Canon, I figured one of them might know.

From the Canon site at:
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&tabact=ModelTechSpecsTabAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=14256#ModelDetailAct

Compatible Lenses:
Canon EF and EF-S lenses

From the Canon site at:
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&tabact=ModelTechSpecsTabAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=14256#ModelDetailAct

Compatible Lenses:
Canon EF and EF-S lenses

Are your lenses the FD type or older than 10 years old? I believe that's when the EF lenses came about, so if older than 10 years you probably have FD mount lenses

They say there are FD adaptors available, but most offer degradation in picture quality and I don't think they will meter. Supposedly Canon also did make such an adaptor, but they're hard to find and only work with a limited number of Canon FD telephotos.

This link should have all the answers (remember the XTi is a EOS digital):

http://photonotes.org/articles/beginner-faq/lenses.html

Scroll down and begin at the paragraph
"Which lens should I buy for my EOS digital camera?"

Hope this is of some help!

Val is correct about the FD (old) vs. the EF/EF-s style mounts. The FD lenses were not auto-focus, while the EF lenses are auto-focus, so if you are using a film-SLR with autofocus (the old Rebel series for example), those should be the EF lenses that will work on the new DSLRs.

Or you can just go and buy all new lenses - much more fun!

Re: Re: NLR~Question about lenses for a Canon XTi

If you are going to use a lens that has been sitting for many years, it might be a good time to get it cleaned (at a reputable camera shop) to avoid any dust in your photos. Also, if you do get a new lens, check out the 50mm prime lens. At 100$ is takes AMAZING photos that are tack sharp!

Thanks everyone! Val,Patty and breeder, I will definetly check out those links. After about 6 years of wanting a digital dslr I got one! Now, to figure out how to use it. I know nothing of camera's. I was told by the person I bought it from to get the 50mm f/1.8 prime lens, so that will probably be my first stop! Thanks again, you have been very helpful.

Have fun, Tina. I know both Val and I have quite a bit of info on lenses and cameras, etc.. Don't hesitate to email me with any questions you might have!

And yes, the 50mm is a great lens - you have a crop body (smaller digital sensor than full-sized on the more expensive professional cameras), so you might consider the 35mm lens instead - which gives you the same focal length on your camera as the 50mm gives on a full-frame camera.

Then we can talk about all the great zooms out there! I'd better stop here or I'll go on and on about lenses