Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cornell progesterone testing 1 week turn around

Just contacted a vet I've been using off and on--regular vet is scaling back with health issues. Anyway new guy says they will do progesterone testing for $23 and send it out to Cornell and get results in a week.

Having a senior moment...place we send to...the name ..Antioch????

Re: Cornell progesterone testing 1 week turn around

Close, I believe it's Antech

"results in a week" are not going to do you any good. Wouldn't you want your results the same day or next day??

A week?!? Are you sure?!? What good would that do? Most of us are not happy getting the results the next day. We want them the same day!I am sure there is an error here.

Re: Re: Cornell progesterone testing 1 week turn around

If I use my vet for progesterone testing, he sends it to the human lab who, in turn, sends it out to antech (I believe). Results come back in 5 plus days. Worthless! In order for me to get a number within a days time frame, I have to drive 1.5 hours one way to deliver the sample to a different vet. The sample (already drawn/spun)cost me $71.25 last year. This is the reason that many of us in rural areas prefer to do camelot in home testing and why camelot should be an accepted way of testing.

Re: Re: Cornell progesterone testing 1 week turn around

OMG , why would you want results a week later?

use Premate, in house, results in an hour.

You can't risk that kind of turn around, that's looney!

Re: Re: Re: Cornell progesterone testing 1 week turn around

I have run into stud dog owners who refuse to breed on premate results.

why wouldn't you just mail overnight to a place like Idexx?

I did laugh when he came back to the phone and told me "a week"...What good would that do me? I know it's true b/c I live near Ithaca and in the past I've taken the blood drawn by my vet directly to Cornell and could not get timely results.
Thanks for the correct name. I am using a repro vet but he's a bit away. I just need to have progesterone tests closer before I go to him.

Re: Re: Re: Cornell progesterone testing 1 week turn around

This is ABSOLUTLEY WRONG.
I use to drive my blood to Cornell and get the results the same day. If I over nighted it i got the results the next usually by 3pm.

Bonnie when I first went there about 3 years ago if I went before 10 am I'd get it the same day. It got slower and slower.

To the OP- you should ask your repro vet which lab they prefer. I usually go with IDEXX over Antech (in my region)-- and your repro vet might be able to give you their recommendations. I doubt they will have a problem with you going to a local vet for the testing... most of us in repro are very used to that and work with the local vet on the results.

My Vets near me all use Antech and they could NOT guarantee me results from those tests for at least 2-3 days. What good does that do me?
I decided to drive my bitch to stay with her breeder who's vet was able to do the draw and get results next day.
Oh and my Vet charged about 4 times the amount! 4 times the price for results 2 maybe 3 days later. Don't think so.

Overnight it to Dr. Hutch's lab. He will get results to you same day he receives sample if you are really in that bad of an area. We drive to our local major hospital and get results in about 60 minutes.

I checked into this a while ago. I called Cornell's diagnostic department directly and was told next day results but the sample had to arrive before a certain time and the paperwork had to be filled out a certain way by the vet.

Can't remember it all now. Its in my notes at home.

Call Cornell yourself. They are very helpful.

<<<>>>

it is a proven test that many vets use in house as well.

Why would any stud dog owner refuse a breeding for that reason. I know plenty of stud dog owners who would be happy to know it was being done every other day or every day.

Do you use Cornell Patty? How much is the cost?

I don't have the paperwork in front of me but I do remember that sending the blood sample overnight plus the cost of progesterone would have only saved me about $10 or $20 so I had my vet do it.

However, I had Cornell do my herpes titers on my girls. The cost is $15 per dog plus the overnight shipping of about $35. If I had done it thru Antech it would have been $104 for one herpes titer.

I pay the vet $62.00 for progesterones I get back same day done by Antech. I am going to call Cornell, it would save me at least half the bill for each. With 2 girls in season that will be bred, it's worth it. Thanks Patty.